Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble defining new multilevel list style

I know this topic has gotten a LOT of Q and A, and I have studied it to no end, but I'm still having trouble!

I need outline-numbered headings i.e. 1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, etc. No problem. I set this up using the multilevel numbering button on the ribbon, making sure the numbers are linked to the heading styles.

Now I want to define a list style in which the numbers are, say, outdented into the margin. So I click the same multilevel numbering button and select Define new list style, go through the various number formats, and set the alignment to -0.5. No problem. Looks good, easy to do.

Now I want ANOTHER list style in which the numbers are, say indented instead of outdented. I want this so that I can easily change my entire document from outdented style to indented stye, and vice-versa, without having to set up the individual headings each time. So I click the multilevel numbering button and select Define new list style, just like before, but lo and behold, the starting formats in the numbering dialog no longer resemble what I had. The levels are no longer linked to heading styles, and the number formats are 1), a), i), (1) etc! And, if I try to redefine these formats, I invariably end up with corrupt numbering--the numbers are gone, or they don't increment, or are out of sequence, etc.

Can somebody identify what I'm doing wrong? Give me a step-by-step procedure that works? Or confirm that this is just buggy and I'm wasting my time?

Many thanks to anyone who tries.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When you click the define multilevel list icon, the list in effect at the point of the cursor shows up in the dialog, except for the style links. So before you click the multilevel list button, place the cursor in the first level one paragraph (heading 1 in your case) in the document. You might also name the list number field for each list style to add a little more fidelity.

Pam

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Been there, done that.

After more experimenting, perhaps I can better define my problem. I can use list styles OK (I think) with an actual list, but I'm trying to use them to control heading numbering. For that, I need numbering formats that are linked to heading styles. When I try to define a new list style, using either the firtst lindk style or a predefined one from the library, these link properties are not there. It doesn't matter where the cursor is when I start. I'm not sure what you mean by acknowledging this "the list in effect at the point of the cursor shows up in the dialog, except for the style links"--do you mean the links are there but just don't show, or do you mean that it is normal to lose the links?

Anyway I can painstakenly put the links back in when defining the new style. But then when I try to reapply the first style, I find that the links that were there originally are now gone.

It looks to me like heading style links are just not something that is preserved in list styles. If that is the case, then I don't see how the list styles can be helpful for my stated purpose.

Thanks
    Pam knows this subject far better than do I.

If you are using Word 2010 you might try saving your different styles as Style Sets and shifting that way rather than just multiple named styles. In other words, use the same style name for the same levels but have them set up differently. I haven't tried this, but if I had your problem I would.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the idea Charles. That sounds more promising. I don't know what "style sets" are but I will pursue it. I'm tired of list styles.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the cursor is in the list you, essentially, want to modify, then after you click the multilevel list icon and then define new multilevel list, all of the settings of you old list --except the links to paragraph styles-- will appear in the dialog. Word shows this as the "current list" in the multilevel list gallery. In the Modify Multilevel list dialog, you'll have to set your indents and reset the links to paragraph styles for each list style variation you want to create. For this to work, you must set indents in the create new list dialog, never in the paragraph style. I've noticed that last applied multilevel list or list style (that is linked to the same styles) is the one that is actually linked to the styles, although the text may not have updated. Reapplying the style generally puts things right.

I didn't mention this because you said you want to use one list style or another, not two in the same document, but: if you want to use two paragraph-style-linked multilevel lists in the same document, they must be linked to different paragraph styles.

Applying a numbered list through style sets should work, but the list style would still have to be set up for each style set and the list styles would have to be in the document.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Pam for keeping after this with your usual gusto.

If I understand you right--and this is consistent with my observation--then every time I want to re-apply an existing style, I need to redefine the indents and links. Unless I have more than about three heading levels, this isn't really very useful--it's just as easy to "define a new list". Makes me wonder what the purpose of a list style is.

I can see that a list style is useful for an actual list, but to do headings scattered throughout a document--i.e. where linked headings are needed in the the numbering definitions--I can't see the utility.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sorry, I don't understand the problem your are having.

For many people, the default multilevel lists work just fine, and there's no need to use list styles. List styles are useful when you have lots of customizations to the default settings like your indents and outdents and you want to have those custom list available to many documents.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I can see that its useful if you're just defining one style. Perhaps I overreacted in thinking that I could define several styles and jump back and forth between them. That's what I inferred from the documentation and various on-line help files.

The problem is that the numbering indentation and heading style links (and possibly other parameters) don't get saved in the style definition. So when I try to change styles, I have to redefine these. For me it's just as easy to redefine all of the numbering settings and just forget about the list style.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, I think I pointed out that we can't apply two list styles linked to the same paragraph styles in in the same document--and expect each one to retain its settings because what's happens is the the last one applied is the one that gets its settings incorporated into the paragraph style.

If what you want is to have, say, heading 1, flush with the margin in one appearance and indented in another. I haven't tried to do soething like that. I'm guessing that it would have to be done manually.

Pam