Thread: DLL won't open

New Lounger
    Thanks

DLL won't open

Windows XP Professional get an error at boot up "DLL won't open". Does not give any codes or other information. When I click "OK", it boots up, but I don't know what the problem is.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Did you check event logs?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should be able to see the error in the Windows Event Viewer.

Open Event Viewer (Control Panel>Performance&Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer , or right click on My Computer> Manage>Event Viewer). Expand Event Viewer and select System. Scroll down to the time that the problem occurred and look for errors in the log. If the error is not visible in the System log, it maybe in the Application log.

Right clcik on the error line and select properties which will show the full details of the error. The details in the entry should give you some indication of the fault and allow a debug to be started.

Here's a screen shot of a recent DHCP error in an event log to show you the type of thing you are looking for:

Event Log.jpg

/Edit: was typing and capturing a screen gran when Ruirib replied on the same lines.....
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-08-16 at 18:32. Reason: slow off the marks!
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    You should be able to see the error in the Windows Event Viewer.

Open Event Viewer (Control Panel>Performance&Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer , or right click on My Computer> Manage>Event Viewer). Expand Event Viewer and select System. Scroll down to the time that the problem occurred and look for errors in the log. If the error is not visible in the System log, it maybe in the Application log.

Right clcik on the error line and select properties which will show the full details of the error. The details in the entry should give you some indication of the fault and allow a debug to be started.

Here's a screen shot of a recent DHCP error in an event log to show you the type of thing you are looking for:

Event Log.jpg

/Edit: was typing and capturing a screen gran when Ruirib replied on the same lines.....
    Well, you provided an illustrated guide, so that makes up for the slower reply .

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Well, you provided an illustrated guide, so that makes up for the slower reply .
    Which required firing up a VM, finding an error (I don't have many!) and exporting the screen grab to the workstation - well, that's my excuse anyway.

@ dcarpenter22: if you need help understanding the event log entries post back with the detail and I'm sure there will be people available to look at it for you.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    If the error occurs at bootup, go into Msconfig, Click on the start tab and click on the disable all button. If the error goes away, use a process of elimination to find the offending application. (re-enable half of the startup apps, reboot and check again, etc.)

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I did not check the event log. Since seeing the response, I have checked the event log and have found no errors. I did find one warning traces which had to do with debugging. I repaired that problem, but do not have any others. I still have the "DLL will not open" error at boot up. I will try the startup apps method in msconfig.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.