Thread: Puzzling Error

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Puzzling Error

When I booted up my laptop today (twice) An error message popped up pretty early in the boot-up that said something like: Unable to find entry point for dll file. On the top of the message box was a heading that said "What is my computer doing? 1.04" and then somewhere on it it said to contact www.itsth.com/wmed for instructions.

Does anyone have any idea what this is all about? I'm wondering if I have a virus on my system?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    What is your operating system and service pack level?
    Are you able to reach the logon screen and enter Windows?

The site or name :www.itsth.com/wmed, seems to refer to an Outlook sync app and or a program called "What's my computer doing".
    Do you have this or any similar software from the above company installed on your system?

It's always a wise policy to check for signs of infection with more than one AV/AM tool when something like this crops up too.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-08-17 at 00:18.

Thanks
    I agree, I would boot into Safe Mode and run MalwareBytes and Spybot Search and Destroy as well as a manual scan of my AV app. (It appears the Spybot site is under re-construction or maintenance)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The previous posters concerns seem quite sensible and they should be followed. It seems clear to me, though, that you have found the source of your problem - the What is my computer doing​ app. If you don't need it, remove it, and you should be fine.

Thanks
    The biggest problem I see with computer security, is that a person downloads one program and then thinks that they are 100% safe. I've seen computers with Spybot S&D on them, where the program was installed but never even got the first update and Never ran a scan. Spybot S&D is worthless, if you don't get the weekly updates, run the Immunization and then run a scan. I give every one of my own customers a full sheet of detailed instructions on exactly how to do the above three functions and I can go back six months or a year later and find that they have not done anything at all with the program.
    That's just plain Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

Thank God, for the programs that can be set to get their own updates, and run their own scans, without any user intervention at all. AVG 2012 FREE and Malware Bytes Pro are two such programs.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies! I do not have Outlook on my PC but I do have What is my computer doing and when I try to run it I get that message on the screen. I'll uninstall it and run some scans to be sure everything is OK. I do install updates regularly and I have Microsoft Security Essentials set to scan regularly.

Thanks for the help.
    Bill