Thread: Is it safe?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it safe?

I have Win 8 x86,and there is no indication that there is any antivirus or firewall or other anti-malware. Usually there are nag screens to get you to install them.

All help files appear to be obsolete.

Native imaging appears to be absent.

It's fun to play with, but there is not a single free game, new or old, to become addicted to.

Don't forget to bring your treasured older fonts that may be missing in this version. I hope you haven't already deleted them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I can now add another complication: I do indeed have the 'real' Windows 8, according to Control Panel (and the trouble taken in downloading it), but it doesn't seem to know it is the (early adopter) final. Certain conventional third-party program installations are rejected as incompatible 'because I am running a pre-release' version of Windows 8. Acronis TI Home 12 and jv16 2012 are two examples. Maybe they're not compatible, but it can't be because I'm running a pre-release version.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Windows 8 includes native AV protection (I believe it's a sort of MSE + Defender combo). There is also a firewall, of course.

About imaging, see if this helps: http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/creat...-backup-image/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Windows 8 includes native AV protection (I believe it's a sort of MSE + Defender combo). There is also a firewall, of course.

About imaging, see if this helps: http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/creat...-backup-image/
    This was valuable information and an excellent link. Thank you very much.

I might explain that I had an early beta for a very short time but gave up on that, so I am a complete beginner as well as an early adopter.

Thanks
    This link has information about Acronis TIH. All versions are in Win 8 testing and thus not working from within Windows. However your Images can still be created from the Acronis Boot Disk. Just boot to the Acronis Boot Disk (I have tried both v 2010 and 2011) and instead of restoring, choose Backup, Whole partitions or disks. I created my first Win 8 Image yesterday and restored it to verify that it works.

To get to Windows Defender you can either go to Control Panel or Programs, Windows System. Each day I get a reminder on my Lock Screen when new WD updates are available.

Win 8 Backup and Restore has been replaced by File History. I have not used it yet, but I do not believe it includes Imaging. It is turning into an excellent file back up. A Google Search shows a lot of info.

There are indeed free games, but they are Modern apps. Go to the App Store and scroll to Games, Free Category.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, Ted - I was actually wondering about that Acronis trick and was thinking of trying it.

You might be interested to know that I have mine on a stick, and boot from that. You may or may not also realize that if you have Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (which I think is the proper name if you make you own, which thereby allows you to have the latest build at any time) you can include the fully functional Acronis Disk Director (if you have the program) on the same stick or CD as part of the package. You make these in TIH Tools and Utilities, and the footprint is very small - I think about 350 MB - which is a great use for an old and 'too small' USB drive.

I'll give it a try. There is nothing worse than performing a clean install without frequent images.