Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Fixing WMP crashes was very relevant to this thread; at least as relevant as system rebuilding.

Bruce
    The post I questioned suggested the Microsoft Fixit Center, which to my knowledge has nothing relevant to this thread.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    What is a minor instability issue? Would the impossibility to install SP1 or the inability of sfc to fix the problems fall into this category?
    Well, yes, among other minor issues. The issues you named are often driver or Registry issues, caused by aggressive system tweaking or Registry over-cleaning. But they can be fixed with relatively non-destructive methods, once the source of the issue is discovered. The same goes for issues involving security or system updates. These can often be rolled back.

Minor issues do not prevent system booting or program execution. Major issues would greatly interfere with booting, logging in or out of accounts, shutting down, or cause such severe lockups and slowdowns (or even Blue Screen of Death incidents) as to render Windows difficult or impossible to use.

Granted, the threshold is a bit fuzzy, but the issue in this thread, while annoying, seems to have been a relatively minor issue. Even a Repair Reinstall was not needed in the end. The crashing was restricted to Windows Media Player and seems not to have affected the whole Windows System. (This only became clear as the thread progressed.)

Repair Reinstall may fix some issues while not addressing others. If a person is going to go to the trouble of doing a Repair Reinstall, they are probably already on the road to a full-scale system rebuild, in my experience. If a System Restore or rollback to a previous System Image Backup doesn't solve a Windows stability issue, Repair Reinstall is a roll of the dice in my experience. Usually not worth doing, compared with a system rebuild. Just my experience.

As long as all data are backed up, I see no long-term time savings in doing a Repair Reinstall as opposed to a full system rebuild. The instabilities often just return. Maybe that's just my experience.

The key is to have all original installation media somewhere where you know they are, as well as all product license keys. Having everything at hand is half the battle if a rebuild ever becomes necessary.

And don't rely on Hidden Recovery Partitions -- they are not always available in the event of a true hardware issue (which is not part of the issue in this thread).

The original question is whether Windows ever solves a reported error issue. And whether Microsoft ever uses Error Reporting to fix something in Windows. The answer to both parts of the question is Yes, sometimes.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-25 at 08:46.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    The big advantage of a repair install is time and effort. I have too many apps to reinstall, just too many. Some of them take too much time to reinstall. You save yourself from all of that with a repair install. My system had several issues, though it booted and worked, but not only was I unable to install SP1, as there were other issues, including an impossibility to add service packs to some apps. The repair install fixed all my issues. I kept my system just as it was, no other effort needed, other than some IIS tweaks and minor problems repairing XP Mode.

I will always, always try a repair install before going for the nuke option, which a full reinstall is.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    The post I questioned suggested the Microsoft Fixit Center, which to my knowledge has nothing relevant to this thread.
    Microsoft Fix It Center includes fixes for issues that cause Windows Media Player to stop working, including this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947541/en-us

Perhaps the Fix Its available there are another way Microsoft uses the telemetry data from our crash reports?

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Microsoft Fix It Center includes fixes for issues that cause Windows Media Player to stop working, including this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947541/en-us

Perhaps the Fix Its available there are another way Microsoft uses the telemetry data from our crash reports?

Bruce
    Definitely true, Bruce. Fixits are often developed in response to widespread issues reported by Microsoft Windows Error Reporting. Also in response to user complaints about patches which may have caused stability or other issues. They do have their place, but just to refer the OP directly to the Fixit Center without naming the specific Fixit for the Media Player issue, seemed to me a bit flippant for a Lounge post. Your specific link would be very relevant.

I hadn't thought of these points when I posted. It looked like the person making that post had referred the OP to the Fixit Center just as a knee-jerk piece of non-advice. Which would have been too general and simplistic for the Lounge, in my opinion at the time. I stand corrected.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The big advantage of a repair install is time and effort. I have too many apps to reinstall, just too many. Some of them take too much time to reinstall. You save yourself from all of that with a repair install. My system had several issues, though it booted and worked, but not only was I unable to install SP1, as there were other issues, including an impossibility to add service packs to some apps. The repair install fixed all my issues. I kept my system just as it was, no other effort needed, other than some IIS tweaks and minor problems repairing XP Mode.

I will always, always try a repair install before going for the nuke option, which a full reinstall is.
    Good points. In light of these points, I would revise my previous post to say: One step of escalation at a time. That's the right way to solve Windows issues. In this thread, the issue never escalated into a general Windows instability issue anyway, so our talk about any sort of reinstall was beyond the scope of what turned out to be necessary action in this case.

By the way, in the specific case of not being able to install SP1, Microsoft stated that certain Intel OEM drivers would need to be updated for the Service Pack to be installed. Also, those who had been cleaning out their Registries were warned to run the SFC Scan and one additional downloadable scan to make sure certain needed Registry Keys were intact and not corrupted.

See KB 2505743 for more details. I had to update four drivers to get SP1 to install correctly. Inability to add Service Packs or updates for some Applications may also involve these same issues. The same may be true when certain MS Updates which install or alter system kernel level drivers are repeatedly reoffered. This is one of those rare instances where a working driver may need an update.

.NET Framework and other runtimes also should be kept up to date to insure that service packs and program updates will install properly and not break anything.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-26 at 18:47.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12