Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Version Classic Shell

Version 3.6 of Classic Shell has been released.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-18 at 15:54.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up Ted. I see it now has an option to disable all the hot spots. Hooray! For the few times I need the Charms bar, I can get it via Windows key + C. The same applies to the Start Screen (Windows key + Q,W, or F). I have the Windows key set to open Metro. It also has a Windows 7 style Start screen. This is Windows 8 as Microsoft should have designed it.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-08-18 at 18:14.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    Just a question and comment... Keep in mind that i have the 8RP ... but that's as far as i can go because of the inability to connect to the internet ( Pantech UML290 modem not yet supported for Windows 8) I am by no means wanting to start a "war". What i do not understand about "8" is...

1. What are the advantages of "8" as compared to the others? ..Faster , Safer, easier to navigate, etc.

2. What is the advantage to remove things that work well, and replace them with things that make the book "Windows 8 for Dummies" more of a statement ?

3. Why do most want, or need "Tools" to make "8" more user friendly?... If "8" is indeed a better OS.

Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-08-18 at 18:57.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

bwc (2012-08-18)

Thanks
    Fred, there are various threads that the advantages, IMO, have been discussed in depth. To rehash here would take me far too long. I would suggest going through some of the threads and skimming through them.

There have been serious discussions about the Start Orb if that is what you are describing. For those that feel more comfortable Classic Shell can be set up so you will not realize you are missing a Start Orb.

You really do not need anything added to accomplish things in Win 8. I customize Win 7 almost as much as Win 8, the biggest difference is the Classic Shell. Otherwise you would be hard pressed to tell the difference, except for the added features and speed and better memory utilization, and . . . .
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Classic Shell 3.6 had a glitch.
    So Classic shell 3.6.1 is now the latest version. It works just fine.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just Plain Fred,

It depends what you're using it on. For the desktop, my opinion is:

Pros: much faster, better file manager, better task manager, faster wifi connection, good handling of old software.

Cons: metro intrusion/confusion, aero gone, start button gone, "keep both files" gone, win+tab gone.

So it's a mixed picture. The cons could have easily been fixed and that would make W8 the best Windows version ever. W8 might be good with third party fixes. I'll wait and see. Otherwise, W9 might be good.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems that when you reboot, Classic Shell is switched off. You have to re-engage it after the Metro start screen appears. Is this the same for other people, or am I missing an option in settings. I have "Enable Start Button" ticked.

Thanks
    Mine automatically starts with Windows even when it's not listed in the StartUp folder. I might try to uninstall / reinstall Classic Shell. I do not see any other settings that would cause Classic Shell to have to be restarted each time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Martin: Start Menu in Classic Shell definitely launches with Windows 8; indeed, if so set it reliably accomplishes a near by-pass of Metro, actually passing through it in about 2 seconds.

I cannot find a 'Start' item in any of the conventional folders / Registry locations for Classic Shell. However, it is shown as an 'Automatic' Startup Type in Services section of Computer Management [Win key + X].

Classic Shell Service Properties.png

You might wish to check there before uninstalling / reinstalling to confirm its setting.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HansPeter For This Useful Post:

Martin Gifford (2012-08-31)

Thanks
    Hans, switch to Advanced mode instead of Basic mode to see all the various options available. Thank you for the services tip. I had not thought of that. You can also just type services in the search box of Classic Shell or the Start Menu (Modern UI).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update:

I've followed the suggestions. Thanks.

I experimented a bit and have narrowed the problem down a little. I have a dual boot of W8 and W7. When I reboot, if I let W8 default after 30 seconds, then Classic Shell works automatically. If I press enter at boot to speed up the launch of W8, then Classic Shell doesn't start. So I thought I would try reducing the boot default to 5 seconds, but Classic Shell still doesn't work automatically. It seems that W8 needs that 30 second waiting period to prepare Classic Shell to work automatically.

I will email the software maker.

Cheers.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Martin: I also dual boot Windows 8 Pro with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. You don't mention them so I will take the liberty of remarking on two indispensable tools for dual boot systems, both freeware from NeoSmart Technologies and both deserving 'donations': iReboot and EasyBCD [2.2 Beta 180 is the version for Windows 8].

I cannot imagine managing a dual boot system without these superbly focused and competent utilities.

Not only does EasyBCD make customizing boot details a breeze, it ever-so-easily performs temporary disabling of '64-bit driver signing'. This was the crucial step that permitted me to fully install the notorious Creative SoundBlaster driver for my X-Fi XtremeMusic audio card in Windows 8.

Back to the point about Classic Shell: 7 is my default so from a cold boot I always must select 8 manually within a three second threshold. Never any problems with Classic Shell loading; nor any when iReboot manages the transition from 7 to 8. Incidentally, by having 7 as my default Windows, the new graphical boot screen / loader / menu of 8 is displaced by the old DOS-like command line display.

'Ivo' the author of Classic Shell seems responsive to queries on other forums; I hope he can help you. If so, please by all means post the resolution here so we can learn!

Best of luck.

P.S. As a last resort: if Classical Shell cannot be made to load properly on your system, you might try the just-released updated version of Stardock's free beta 'Start8'. It appears to have become a clone of Classic Shell's Start Menu, though perhaps not quite as customizable.
    Last edited by HansPeter; 2012-08-31 at 23:47.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HansPeter For This Useful Post:

Martin Gifford (2012-09-06)

Thanks
    I dual boot Win 7 (C Drive) and Win 8 (D Drive) and have my boot time set to 5 seconds as well via msconfig. Whether I let the Boot Loader run the 5 seconds and boot automatically or tap enter when the Boot Loader opens, Classic Shell starts automatically every time. I suspect your installation is corrupt. I still would suggest uninstall/reinstall of Classic Shell.

I am presently using the Win 8 Boot Loader, but this also worked when I was using the Win 7 Boot Loader whether I had Win 7 or Win 8 as the default OS. I have had Win 8 as the default OS since Win 8 RP was first released.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done some more experimenting: I had Outlook in the Startup folder to automatically start on reboot. When I removed Outlook from the Startup folder, Classic Shell worked automatically on reboot. So the problem has got something to do with that. I'm posting on the Classic Shell forum, and he's responding, so we might see a fix. It would be great to have Classic Shell working perfectly in Win8.

Thanks
    Good to know. I do not use Outlook, and always minimize the numbers of apps that start with Windows. The various apps I use start quickly when I need them. I have Shortcuts to the various apps I use regularly. This is just the way I have set up my PC's for use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast