New Lounger
    Thanks

IE Default Browser Problem

Just recently, when I click on a Link, instead of it automatically opening in IE, which is selected as my Default Browser, a popup makes me select the program I want to use to open the Link. Following is an example of what I see:

Browser.JPG

My IT guy hasn't see this problem before.
    I am hoping you have the answer for me.

Ron Carlson

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Ok, I replaced your attachment by an image copied from the document you posted, in order to protect the privacy of the email addresses included in the document.

Regarding your problem, you say IE is the default browser. Have you confirmed that in the Control Panel?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In the Control Panel, I clicked on Internet Options, then Programs and it shows IE as the Default Browser. I am still having the same trouble. Ron Carlson

Administrator
    Thanks
    Please check in Control Panel -> Default Programs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did as you suggested. IE was already named there as the Default Browser, but I clicked to make it the Default anyway. I then rebooted the computer.
    It is still doing the same thing, popping up and making me select the program I want to open a link with.

Ron Carlson

Administrator
    Thanks
    The only thing I can suggest is that you try using System Restore, to go back a few days, to a time where you think that wasn't happening.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure how many days this has been going on, but think it is more than a week, maybe two or so.
    In Control Panel I just found System Restore, and by clicking "Show more restore points" I found these:
    2 from 8/15/2012 Labeled Windows Update Critical Update, then the only other one was/is from 8/8/2012 Labeled Automatic Restore Point, (type) System

What do you think I should or should not do?

Ron

Thanks
    I would use the 8/8 restore point. The 8/15 seems like it might be at approx. the time your problem occurred.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Actually the 15/8 Restore point should be previous to the critical update (Windows creates restore points before the updates). I would probably try that first. If it works, fine, if not, then go for the 8/8 one.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you should check at Control Panel, Default Programs, Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program; that .htm and .html are associated with Internet Explorer.

If not, go here: Restore Default Windows 7 File Extension Type Associations

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still having this problem, when clicking on a Link, I am forced to select IE (my Default Browser) from the Open With Pop-up Window. This problem appeared only recently on my Sony VPCZi 64-Bit with Win7. For some reason, the August 15th Restore Point is no longer listed in the expanded list. I have followed several suggestions, including making sure that IE is registered as the Default Browser. I have uninstalled IE9 and Silverlight, rebooted and reinstalled. I've run Malwarebytes and HitManPro, done an ESET Security Scan. Stubborn thing just keeps dong this. My regular IT guy has no further clue, except suggesting I switch to either Firefox or Chrome, but prefer if possible to continue with my IE. Any other ideas? Ron

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you still have the 8/8 point?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, for some reason, the earlier Restore Points are gone, the oldest listed now is from Aug 21st, well after this problem began. I don't recall for certain if the problem began before of after 8/8 anyway. Ron

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try this then. Install another browser (Chrome or Firefox). Make it the default browser then. Once it is made the default browser, open links and see what the behavior is and report back. You can also then set IE as a default browser again and see if that helps.

It's a bit of a long shot, but probably worth trying.