New Lounger
    Thanks

Question System partition appears to have lost a label or boot manager is messed up

The computer is running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on the following hardware:
    MSI H61M-P23 B3 Intel H61 Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.30 GHz
    Patriot PG34G1333EL Gamer 2 Desktop Memory Module - 4GB times 2
    Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - 500GB, SATA-6G
    Sony Optiarc AD7280S-OB 24x DVDRW Drive - 24x, SATA
    VisionTek 900339 Radeon HD 6850 Video Card -1024MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x DVI, 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, CrossFireX Ready

I can boot from CD, DVD, USB drive, etc. I cannot boot from the installed system on the hard drive.

When I have only the hard drive available (no USB storage devices, no CD's or DVD's in the computer) the system shows the following codes: 98, B4, 99, A3 and then goes to a black screen with a flashing underscore cursor and hangs. I can get to the BIOS settings with the <DEL> key, but none of the appropriate settings are out of line.

Kaspersky Rescue disk from a USB stick reports that the Windows volume is not properly labeled and that mounting it might corrupt the data so I backed out.

Partition Magic from a USB stick shows the following partitions:
    Partition 1: unnamed 100mb System GPT EFI (ESP)
    Partition 2: unnamed 128mb MSR (reserved)
    Partition 3: Data 365.8GB Primary GPT
    Partition 4: unnamed 99.9GB Primary GPT

Partition Magic allows me to view the files and the entire "C" drive (Partition 4) appears to be fine.

This computer is normally left in sleep mode so the Windows Home Server can wake it up and back up the data files each night. Sometime in the last three days, a power surge apparently got past the UPS and caused Windows "to shut down improperly." We have had some nasty thunderstorms recently. Lost our phone system, several ports on a 10/100 Ethernet switch, our Comcast cable modem, and a WiFi router to a lightning strike about a 1/4 mile from the church last month. We do the best we can afford to protect our equipment from the unreliable power, but stuff slips through.

The repair disk prepared on the computer says to try a repair disk for the version of Windows installed on the computer. A repair disk from a second computer with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit also stops with the same message. I've got images of both the system and the data done by Windows Backup, but I can't get to them because the Windows installation disk and the repair disks all refuse to load windows to get to the backup and restore tools.

Would anyone have any idea how to repair the damage that stops the boot process when I can't get any of the normal repair processes to run?
    I'm not worried about our data but it took me two weeks to set up, configure and test all of the software. I could do it quicker now, but I'd really prefer not to.

Thanks, Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just had a thought, would it be safe to do a fast "default" installation of Windows over the existing and use it to restore the last image?

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    So you even the Windows installation disk refuses to boot the system?

I would probably do something like this:

1. Get a the free trial of acronis 2012, or macrium reflect free or even EaseUS todo Backup and create a book disk.
    2. Using the boot disk, create a full image of your current disk, so that you can have a backup for the disk in its current status that you can resort to. This should be created to an external disk.
    3. Use the Windows installation disk to install a fresh Windows version and once you are done, just try the existing repair disk with it. If it works, use the repair disk to restore the images of your system, previous to this mishap. If it does not work, create a new repair disk and try to achieve the same.
    4. Once you are done, if I were you, I would start to use imaging tools that are not dependent on Windows humor. One of the tools I described before should be good enough.

With patience, you will get your system back.

P.S.: You posted while I was writing this. My suggestion would go in that direction, yes, with a precautionary backup with another tool previous to a default install. It's not strictly necessary, but I would feel safer, if I were in your shoes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

RichReusser (2012-08-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm headed back to church now to give it a shot. As you noted, backup first. I love network servers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Let us know how it goes.

Thanks
    Another thing, once you are fixed, I recreate Images whenever I change something on the PC. This way my Image is always very Up To Date so that when disaster strikes it will only take me about 10 minutes to restore.

Generally I create a new Image at least after every Patch Tuesday.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy