Thanks

Real World Win 8 experience: My Wife

I created an Up To Date Image of her Win 7 HP OS for restoration if necessary. I would not think about this installation, or any major changes, without first creating an Image of the OS.

I installed the 90 day Evaluation Copy of Win 8 Enterprise on my wife's PC last night, including all her apps plus MS Office 2010. I did install Classic Shell 3.6 as she said she would prefer having a Start Button (Orb). No sweat, took about 10 minutes including customizing Classic Shell. (version 3.6 was released as a Win 8 compatible version)

The entire installation with a Custom Install took a few hours. A large part of this was updating Office as the DVD we have is a couple of years old. This also included all the latest versions of her apps (downloaded) and fileHippo.com to keep them up to date I also installed WLM 2012 and set up her 2 email accounts. I also set up the custom Cleanup batch file I have discussed elsewhere to run at each sign on. (She is a nut for cleaning her PC and running scans)

I chose to use the default Windows Defender AV/AM for now since she had MSE installed in Win 7. I also added MalwareBytes Pro (she had the free version in Win 7)

We set up a Picture Password for her.

I also had to change the pointers on her data as these are on a separate D Drive on her PC (same as mine)

I attempted to install a couple of games from the App Store, but the Store is down (either got hit too hard at this early stage or maintenance, whatever) I'll get these later. Note: still down this morning, I also can not connect properly and play games on my PC that I could yesterday. I'll wait until later and see what happens. Also cannot get other Modern apps working this am.

I spent a few minutes with her getting her sign in info entered correctly. We did set up the MS account (Hotmail) during initial sign on.

I them spent about 5 minutes showing her some of the basics. The Favorites Bar Toolbar and Shortcuts Toolbar had already been on Win 7 so this was not a change. Classic Shell gave her more than she had with the Win 7 Start Orb. I showed her the Charms Bar, and how to go to Modern UI for the games. I had set up the Desktop Tile in the Upper/Left of the Tiles so a simple Enter key switches back to the Desktop UI.

OK, drum roll please, after a short 5 minute tutorial on how to get started with Win 8, she is over there happily computing away on her PC. This switch to Win 8 could not have been easier for her. I could have just as easily given her a 4 or 5 page tutorial covering the info I discussed with her on navigating in Win 8.

Now to be honest, she is not a novice PC user, but she is also not at the same level as me. If she encounters something unexpected or new I will give you one guess whom she asks the question to! She is definitely one of the average Josephine's we have discussed in several threads. She has taught herself how to use Word, Excel, Publisher (She actually authors a health orientated newsletter at work)

After she had been typing away and surfing and emailing for a while I asked her what she thought. "This works the same as Win 7, but it seems quicker, plus I like the password!" Not any dire, I hate this, or throwing the PC across the room, none of that.

Like I have said, with a good installation and customization and a 5 minute written tutorial, almost anyone can use Win 8. Those Enterprise doubters take note! Set up the OS once and Image it for deployment to an organization, along with a short written or video tutorial and employees will find Win 8 as easy as my wife did.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-19 at 14:39.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy