New Lounger
    Thanks

Dead USB ports on HP Pavilion zv6000

All the USB ports on a friend's zv6000 are dead. I have no idea what she might have done to cause this!
    I am trying to rescue/recover some image files and it is a pain not being able to copy them to a usb key.
    Any ideas, please?
    Last edited by patron40; 2012-08-19 at 11:52. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Patron,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

You might try going into the Device Manager and uninstalling the USB Controller then reboot to allow Windows to reinstall the driver.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    All the usb ports went out on my laptop.Does the keyboard still work? if not Good sign the USB driver chip on the motherboard might have died.

If you want to try saving data from the old hard drive, check on Amazon/ebay/overstock for a PC USB to IDE/SATA Converter Cable Set. It's like $9 has cables to hook up all kinds of hard drives.

I did it with my laptop HD , just pull the HD and plug convertor cable on the HD then plug in to the usb port on another computer and it should mounted right up.

Then copy all the files you want.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome and suggestions; I'd already tried refreshing the drivers; tried disabling etc. - on re-start, had a wizard throwing a fit for a while but eventually it "found" and installed the usb controller but still the usb ports don't work.

This might be my first Lounge post but I've been a subscriber to the Newsletter since it was the Langa List and I've suffered from Windows since forever, I was a UK beta tester for Windows 3.1!!

Solved the transfer problem by networking the non-usb laptop to another laptop and moved the wanted files that way. Probably a bit easier than moving the hard disk.