5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Footnotes: Continuous/Restart

I have a 3 section document (Word 2010). Each section has footnotes. I would like the footnotes in section 2 to restart at 1, and I have succeeded with that. Section 1 has 6 footnotes, as has section 2. Section 1's footnotes are numbered 1 - 6; section 2's footnotes are also numbered 1 - 6.

For section 3, I would like the footnote numbering to continue from section 2. If I set footnote numbering to be continuous, applying changes to "This section", the first footnote is numbered 13. I would expect it to be numbered 7, continuing from the previous section. Section 1's first footnote is 1, section 2's first footnote is 1, and section 3's first footnote is 13.

Is it not possible to have footnotes continue from a previous section without having the count reach back to the beginning of the document?

I realize I can set the section 3 footnotes to start at 7, but if I add a footnote to section 2, 7 would no longer be the next sequential number.

Richard Barrett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a bug. The Footnote and Endnote dialog provides options for numbering to be Continuous, to Restart each section or Restart each page -- and then Apply changes to either This section or the Whole document. Your change in section 2 (to Restart each section) caused numbering to restart at 1, but using Continuous for your section 3 does not do what the dialog implies, and instead applies the next continuous number of the total footnote count.

This is particularly aggravating if you need to insert multicolumn text or a landscape page within a chapter, because either require a section within the main (logical) section for a chapter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This didn't make sense to me. Thank you for confirming that this is a bug.