Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Win8 RP 64-bit install to GPT disk

I have successfully installed Win8 RP on a 32 bit system with normal partition layouts (260 gig drive). I have a new workstation that came with Win7 64-bit but it has a 1 TB disk that uses a GPT partition layout.

The Win8 RP installer (3.3 gig ISO downloaded & burned to a bootable DVD) won't install to a GPT disk. Why is Win8 boot stuck in the last century? Is this a known issue and will it be resolved in the golden master release?

If I put in a normal partitioned disk in the computer (non-GPT), should I expect any problems with the Win7 GPT boot sequence?

If Win8 RP installs successfully to a non-GPT disk on this computer, will I then run into boot manager problems where I might not be able to access my Win7 GPT boot disk?

Is it a safe assumption that Microsoft is trying to eliminate multi-boot in such configurations, or is this just a shortfall in their implementation at this point?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It seems that to install Windows 8 using GPT requires a full UEFI implementation and compatible motherboard. Full UEFI was not a requirement in Win 7 and GPT, so perhaps that's the reason?

As for the other questions: I'm afraid I can't help as I have not tried Windows 8 with GPT (I don't have a UEFI machine).
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post

If Win8 RP installs successfully to a non-GPT disk on this computer, will I then run into boot manager problems where I might not be able to access my Win7 GPT boot disk?
    Ken,
    Hello... This is a "bag of worms" I'm also fighting with UEFI \ GPT windows 8 RP. My MOBO is an ASUS 990FX UEFI ... I have tried to load "8" to a GPT disk and failed (Dual Boot) ... I have a Windows 7 \ 64 Pro and changed it to a NTFS disk and was able to load up "8RP" . If you have other OS's i have found that UEFI has no "Boot Manager" like EasyBCD to manage multi boot OS's... As far as i can find out is the "F-8" at boot shows all HD's present ...However you can not select anything but the first (Active) partition on any of your HD's to boot from. So long as you format your HD's to NTFS "8" will take over and you then can select which OS to boot from.. What Boot Manager do you have for your GPT\ UEFI system?.. Sorry if i can't answer your question, as i am also trying to figure this out being a "Noob" to UEFI \GPT. Hopefully someone will come up with a boot manager that can be used with UEFI BIOS ..so you can boot to another partition on the HD ...(Other than only the "First Active".).. Other than that... UEFI BIOS is like having another separate OS that loads up before your main one. I wouldn't load "8" without having a tested and working full image backup (3rd party) of every OS on your PC ...(that will work with UFEI \GPT OS's) ..Tried this in a dual boot scenario adding "8" to the mix (Tri-Booting)... and if you remove "8" your OS's will no longer be boot-able...I hate that! Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-08-19 at 16:57.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reponse.

My config (a more complete description) is a workstation with full UEFI capability and a 1 TB disk (disk 0), with Win7 64-bit installed from the vendor. The first partition on the disk is a 100 meg UEFI partition (that is the label under Disk Administration). I have installed an additional disk drive that is MBR formatted and will become the home partition for my Win8 RP install (disk 1).

However, for Win7 booting, the BIOS (oh, yes, there is still a BIOS) is set to NOT use the UEFI boot sequence. Thus, the boot sequence goes to the first active partition on disk 0 and uses standard MBR boot sequence. I don't know if I can change to UEFI boot and still boot my system as it stands (probably not or it would have come that way).

When I booted the Win8 RP 64-bit install DVD, it put up a message that the workstation did not support UEFI (indicating the BIOS boot sequence was in control). As such, I think a UEFI boot will not come into play, and the likelihood exists that the Win8 install will put up the same boot manager as in the 32-bit version (however, "the odds are good", as said by the Elemental in the Chronicles Of Riddick, that it will not).

So many considerations that it makes your head spin. I am not quit ready to remove the GPT formatting (although I have partitioned the GPT disk first by shrinking the original setup down to 466 gig and adding two other partitions in the resulting free space, one of which I thought I could use for the Win8 RP install -- NOT).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fast & quick: in my configuration, install of Win8 RP 64-bit is terminated by error code 0x8020024. The code explanation at Microsoft.com is without satisisfaction for the problem or any potential thereof.

Dirty: contacted hardware vendor about Win8 RP 64-bit install (workkstation still under warranty) and they responded by saying they provide NO support for the RP version and indicated I should contact Microsoft.

My attempted install was from the burned ISO image for the install DVD. You can boot the install DVD as UEFI or legacy (MBR).

When install DVD is booted as UEFI, my selected disk drive, with or without an active partition, is rejected, because the install was booted UEFI and it is expecting to install Win8 RP on a GPT device. My selected device is rejected because it is an MBR device.

When the install DVD is booted in legacy mode (MBR), the selected disk drive, with or without an active partition, is rejected with error code 0x8030024.

I have some more digging to do. In particular, if I boot the install DVD as UEFI and select one of my GPT partitions, will that work? (previous attempts at selecting a GPT partition were done under a legacy boot of the install DVD). This might work but some other posts have indicated that one can lose the ability to access (boot from) the GPT partition that holds the legacy (MBR) bootable Win7 partition.

Further, I can attempt to perform the Win8 RP install from my running Win7 partition. Those results are about as reliable as what I have achieved thus far.

Some sort of log is created that supposedly details the failed attempts but since I booted from the install DVD, where can that log be written? It can't be written to the DVD so maybe it is on some exising disk partition (oh where or where has that little log gone...? oh where oh where can it be...?)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Next step taken...

I have brought up the Win8 RP install DVD with UEFI, and ultimately selected a GPT partition, where it began the install process. I suspect this would have been successful, but I cancelled out since I did not want to end up with a system that could boot only into Win8 (that is, lose boot access to the existing Win7 partition).

Now, if I can take the additional disk that I have installed (drive 1) and format it as GPT, then select it for the install, then I should be able to retain the ability to boot Win7 and Win8 (Win7 will be on the first active partition of disk 0 while Win8 will be on the first active partition of disk 1).

How do I format a drive as a GPT disk?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At the end, I believe (unless someone comes up with something better)...

The following attempts were all made booting the Win8 RP install DVD using UEFI boot. In three different attempts selecting disk 1, I got the following results:

1. The existing formatted disk (MBR) was rejected as it would only accept a GPT disk for the install.

2. I then selected Advanced, deleted the partition, selected Format, and it put up a full disk sized partition, that was also rejected.

3. Again, I selected Advanced, deleted the partition, selected NEW, and it put up TWO new partitions, one at 128 meg as a reserved recovery partition and the other as a new active partition with the remaining space. This configuration was ALSO rejected.

Conclusion: despite deleting the partition, formatting the partition, or selecting a new partition configuration, I believe all are rejected due to mixing an existing MBR disk with a GPT disk in the boot sequence.

Once again, HOW DOES ONE INITIALIZE A GPT DISK?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Once again, HOW DOES ONE INITIALIZE A GPT DISK?
    Hi Ken,
    I have done this using "DISKPART" from an elevated command prompt.. Found this tutorial that will help Convert MBR\NTFS to GPT
    Regards Fred...

PS: Be careful using DISKPART as it's real easy to confuse the disk numbers\ volume numbers etc ... wiped out my OS once ...or twice
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Once again, thanks for the post on GPT initialization.

I discovered that Acronis True Image Home 2012 has "Add new disk" function, with an option for GPT. I invoked that option, went back to the install DVD, selected that disk, and BINGO, it accepted the disk and started the install (I cancelled out for now, but will complete it later, once I have convinced myself that it will come to a dual boot configuration where I can select Win7 on disk 0 or Win8 RP on disk 1. By the way, True Image Home numbers the disks 1, 2, 3, ..., whereas Disk Management numbers them 0, 1, 2, ...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I discovered that Acronis True Image Home 2012 has "Add new disk" function, with an option for GPT. I invoked that option, went back to the install DVD, selected that disk, and BINGO, it accepted the disk and started the install
    Ken ,
    Hello...Have just purchased 2012 with Plus Pack and have been "fooling" with it as well... Just for that reason, and it can also deal with UFEI.... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Fred,

Are you planning a post on your view of Acronis? Are you experimenting it with Windows 8?

Regards

Rui

Thanks
    I am also interested in this. I have heard through attempting to install Acronis that V2010 and 2011 are blocked for now while Acronis tests them with Win 8. I thought the 2012 version was also blocked for now.

I have to use my Acronis Boot Disk to create Images. Just boot to the disk and go to Acronis and create.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I am also interested in this. I have heard through attempting to install Acronis that V2010 and 2011 are blocked for now while Acronis tests them with Win 8. I thought the 2012 version was also blocked for now.

I have to use my Acronis Boot Disk to create Images. Just boot to the disk and go to Acronis and create.
    Rui, Ted,
    Hello... I am still too new to Acronis 2012 to make a meaningful comments about the whole program..... So far the features that i have tested all work .. As far as "8", i can't test it ..No internet connection with my Pantech UML 290..so can't install some programs and not able to download things to make them work. ..I will post my findings about Acronis 2012 and 2013 when i have some experience with them .... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Thanks, Fred.

I believe only True Image 2013 will bring Windows 8 compatibility. We'll see.

Regards

Rui

Thanks
    Acronis has stated that TIH 2012 and Backup and Recovery 2011 will support Windows 8 with a future update:
    http://kb.acronis.com/content/31033

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast