Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Photo Viewer behaves differently under user accounts

I use Windows Photo Viewer (WPV) frequently to look at photos. I have never had much problem with it until now.

When I use Windows Photo Viewer as Administrator, there isn't any problem.

When my daughter logs on to her user account she can use Windows Photo Viewer but it has odd querky behavior, namely
    1) When you click on a photo, it brings it up but displays it for only about 5 seconds, then the app stays open but the picture dissappears.

2) You can't browse through all the photos in a folder, you have to open Windows Photo Viewer seperately for each one. The forward button in WPV is grayed out, so you can't use it.

I have searched Microsoft sites and the internet in general hoping to find some parameter somewhere that controls this behavior, but none of the sites I found that discuss WPV mentioned anything at all about parameters that control its behavior.

Any ideas on what causes this?

Specs -
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Last edited by dglarson; 2012-11-06 at 19:15.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Perhaps the user account has dimminished access to certain specific photo locations that the admin account has.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well that sounds like a good idea.

But I have checked it out and it doesn't appear to be the problem. Here are the relevant facts

1) The folder containing the photos, is under my daughter's user account, i.e. in her domain space.

2) When I log on as Administrator and look at the folder, i.e. right-click the folder and select properties. Then click on Security tab, then click on Advanced, it shows the permission level for my daughter's account as "Full Control", the same as it shows for Administrator for this folder.

Another odd behavior - When logged on under my daughter's user account, I cannot resize folder windows with the mouse. I move the mouse over the edge of the folder's window but the mouse shape does NOT change thus preventing resizing of the window.

Anyone have any other ideas?
    Last edited by dglarson; 2012-08-30 at 19:53.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still having this problem with Windows Photo Viewer (WPV). See thread above for details.

Anyone have any other ideas on its cause?

Thanks
    Have you tried removing important data from dtr's account and then deleting and rebuilding it?

Thanks
    Building on Clint's suggestion, here is Microsoft's direction for building a new account to fix profile corruption:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...ile?SignedIn=1

Jerry