New Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend application-sharing program?

I have been asked to help someone, who lives many miles away, learn Excel. We both have Windows 7 (Home).

Several years ago I used to use either MS NetMeeting or MSN Messenger (under xp or maybe even me) to share an application, usually Excel, with my brother who lived some 200 miles away. Once we had established a voice connection in the usual manner I could then share Excel at which point a window would open on my brother’s machine showing my Excel window. Initially I would have control but it was possible to give him control of my curser and allow him to drive the copy of Excel running on my computer. This was a fantastic teaching aid. We were able to talk while looking at the same screen and either of us could take control and demonstrate or practice as required.

NetMeeting will not run under Windows 7 and, as far as I can see, Windows Messenger Live has Remote Assistance but that just gives control of one computer to the other person it is not ‘sharing’. I can find nothing with the functionality of NetMeeting or MSN Messenger from MS or a 3rd party that does not cost a significant amount. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look at?

Many thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me.

Peter

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Peter,

Try TeamViewer. It's free and will do everything you need.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Peter

Thanks
    I have used Team Viewer to do a tuneup on several PC's around the country, while I chat with the person on the other end, using the FREE Google Phone. I can upload programs to the other desktop and then run them from there while I explain every step with the other person.
    I can also run programs that are already installed on his PC and show him better ways to run them. He can also interact with those programs with his own mouse and keyboard.
    It's the next best thing to sitting right next to another person at their keyboard.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek and DrWho - thank you both. I have now tried TeamViewer and you are both quite right. it does everything I need and more, and in many ways better than NetMeeting or MSN Messenger. I had found it while googling around but had missed the fact that it was a fully functioning, un-crippled and without time constraint version that is available for personal use.

So many thanks for you advice.

Peter

Thanks
    I have also used it and I think it's great.

Easy to use..

What I did before using it on another computer was to connect to my laptop on my network and use my laptop remotely to get the hang of it.
    I even chatted with myself..I never realized how great I was until I read it in my chat..

If you plan to re-boot the other side you need to run TV as a service..

I had a few tech questions to ask and team viewer support responded within hours of my asking.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am also another satisfied user of Team Viewer. I've been using it for a couple of years now and its works very well. I have helped my daughter-in-law clear up a problem on her computer and she lives about 1100 miles away but it looked like we were in the same room as far as working on the computer was concerned. Excellent program and its free for personal use!

Thanks
    Usually when I use a free program that works well I buy it but TV is about 700.00 so I won't be buying it at that price...

I'm sure a lot of tech support guys that do a lot of remote computing for clients have bought it....

Anyway, at least they are getting some free press with us talking about it...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Netmeeting has been decommissioned since Windows Vista. Netmeeting has been well replaced by application sharing which is much more powerful and flexible. There are two types of application sharing solutions: hosted (e.g., webex, gotomeeting or gomeetnow) and on-premise (e.g., Lync software package or RHUB appliances).