Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft updates vs Susan Bradley's updates

My system is Vista Home Premium 64bit. SP2. I have Windows Update set to provide updates as they come available, but not to install automatically.

I also weekly watch for Susan's list and advice on which updates to accept, hold, skip, etc. The problem is that Susan give many updates for my system that Windows does not make available to me.

Should I go and find these updates that Susan refers to, or just install the updates Windows give to me?

Thanks,

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Windows Update determines what updates you need. You should just worry about those that Windows offers you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan sometimes says not to download updates that Windows offers. What should I do about that?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    You can either follow her advice and wait until she gives the go ahead or choose not to follow her advice. It's your choice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You can either follow her advice and wait until she gives the go ahead or choose not to follow her advice. It's your choice.
    You can hide them if they bother you by being there. Then when you think it is okay to install, restore them and proceed.

If you don't want to follow Susan's advice totally, it helps to read here in the Lounge and see others comments on their experience with a particular set of updates. Also read Ask Woody and see what he says.

As far as trying to 'sort them out' if you search the message base you can probably find the suggestions that I and others have made for putting the PatchWatch table into a spreadsheet. Simplistic, but workable.

BJ

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I see in my crystal ball the need for another Windows utility just for WS subscribers - install only Susan's recommended Windows updates. 8-)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One of things you may have missed is that Susan writes her Patch Watch with respect to multiple versions of Windows. Some patches listed may not apply to your particular release. I had the same problem until I actually started reading more of her indepth writings as opposed to simply reviewing her summary table.

Lounger
    Thanks

Susan's list does not include all windows offered updaes; .net 2 wait not?

Although I try to match up Susan's list with Windows Update, there are frequently a hand full of Windows Updates that don't appear in Susan's list. Would be nice if a cumulative list was available for browsing or download.

Running Vista Home Premium SP3 with Office 2010 and 2003 (Prefer Word 2003 and generally use Excel 2003 - both are easier to navigate from the keyboard. Also use Outlook 2010 and occasionally Word & Excel 2010 if that is where the document originated, but hate having to use the mouse a lot instead of the keyboard.

By the way, what happened to .net 2 recommendation to wait? I did not see it on the latest list so tried to install it, got errors (80242fff) and failed to install.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When Susan's column comes in, with list of updates, I very carefully go thru all of it and pick out each update that applies to my version of Vista. I actually make a list of them on a tablet. Then on over to windows update to see what has come and ready for installation. I compare everyone of the updates to programs, etc on my computer. The bottom line problem is that what Susan says I should install and what Microsoft says I should install do not agree.

I would like to do what Susan says, but I think will follow ruirib's words of wisdom and just install what Windows give to me.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and help

royo

Administrator
    Thanks
    FWIW, for at least the past 5 years I've been installing all patches withing a day or two of release for a variety of systems at home & at work. I can count on less than 4 fingers & 1 thumb the number of problems I've had in that time.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Create a Restore Point if your Windows Update doesn't do so automatically;
    Check the offered Windows Updates, deselect any for drivers or hardware;
    Install the Updates;
    If anything breaks, read Susan's column and if necessary, roll back to the Restore Point and do a more selective install.

My experience is like Joe's, problems with a straight install of Updates are very rare.

PS if you have a hardware issue, get the solution [eg diagnostic or new driver] from the manufacturer's site.

Thanks
    My experience with Windows updates is the same. I have it set to notify simply because I like to see which updates are going to be installed and I can choose when to do them. I have always installed each update as it was offered and have never had a problem. I find that PCs that do have Windows Update problems usually have some issue that needs to be fixed - a virus or a corrupted system file although there are rare exceptions. The .net updates come to mind although I didn't experience any problem with them myself.

Jerry

Thanks
    Here's my update strategy.

Before I update, I make an image.

Then I update EVERYTHING they offer.

I then go on my merry way for about two weeks and if everything is not working fine I can restore the image I made before the update..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    My method is similar except that I create an Image after the update. Then if I make system changes between updates I will create an interim Image before the next patch Tuesday. If I do not make changes, then the Image I created after the last patch Tuesday will be Up To Date.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast