Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    So you're not using this as a "production machine", but are able to ease yourself into it? I don't have a Windows Phone, so I cannot speak to that at all. I have been toying with the idea of a Surface tablet however. In that case I might be better off to make the switch on the laptop as well.

Dunno...

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    This will be as close to a production machine as it gets and there is no easing into it. Although I work mostly in my desktop, the laptop will have everything I use, too.

Thanks
    Although we have gotten far away from the original topic, Chuck, read some of the threads in the Win 8 Forum. This OS has polarized many people to one side or the other. The lack of a Start Orb is a non-issue in my case. See my thread here for my experience in setting my wife's laptop for Win 8. Nuff' said in this thread on Win 8. Please add any remarks to the linked thread. I am interested in what people think of the easy installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK, re Office 2013 Beta, I'm about to download it for installation onto the "Operating system that must not be named".

So, a serious question: 32 bit or 64 bit Office? In Office 2010 there were serious issues with 64bit. Any thoughts on 64bit 2013?
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Administrator
    Thanks
    I just used the 32 bit version. I don't think the scenario changed much regarding Office addons (which I think was the biggest reason for the 32 bit version recommendation) and the 32 bit version of Office 2013 worked remarkably well. I was quite impressed with the fact that Outlook 2013 picked my Outlook 2010 addons, like Xobni and Winzip Courier, automatically, and they worked fine with it.

Thanks
    I read in another Forum that someone else had a source (can you say third or maybe fourth party info) that a choice has been made: Win 8 UI or Win 8 style app. For what it's worth!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I used the 32 Bit version of Office. I do not have a need for huge spreadsheets hence the decision was easy. Also I'm still not sure if the 64 Bit version has as many add-ons available.

I read in another Forum that someone had a source that said a decision has been made: Win 8 UI or Win 8 Style app. Can you say third party info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've installed the 64-bit version of Office 2013 because I had the 64-bit Office 2010 installed. I used the offline installer and just replaced Office 2010. This is @home. Whether you consider that a production system or not is open to interpretation. It is working just fine. I tend to avoid add-ins as much as possible so that has not been a problem for me (yet). Office 2013 has been stable so far.

BTW, this is on a machine I upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 8 Pro x64 after Office 2013 was installed.

Joe

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Interesting. I've just finished the download of the x32 version and will see how that goes. If I get chance (time) I might swap it out for 64bit just to compare.

Edit:

Keys and Activation?

I downloaded the Technet Pro version of Office 2013 Preview and grabbed a key for it at the same time. While installing the product, no key was requested and the product did not want to phone home to activate. Surprised by that, I used a utility to discover the product key and found that the key ascoiated with the product is nothing like the key I grabbed from Technet.

Does the Office 2013 Preview require manual entry of a key plus manual activation as previous Office versions have, and if not, why does Technet offer you the opportunity to grab a key?
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-08-21 at 09:42. Reason: Keys and Activation questions

Thanks
    Just a quick "Thank You" for all the input. I cannot say that it has all moved me along in my decision process too far, but it all has lessened the anxiety a bit!

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Interesting. I've just finished the download of the x32 version and will see how that goes. If I get chance (time) I might swap it out for 64bit just to compare.

Edit:

Keys and Activation?

I downloaded the Technet Pro version of Office 2013 Preview and grabbed a key for it at the same time. While installing the product, no key was requested and the product did not want to phone home to activate. Surprised by that, I used a utility to discover the product key and found that the key ascoiated with the product is nothing like the key I grabbed from Technet.

Does the Office 2013 Preview require manual entry of a key plus manual activation as previous Office versions have, and if not, why does Technet offer you the opportunity to grab a key?
    The key you are seeing from the utility program may be encoded or Office 2013 may be storing it in a different location. BTW, I had to manually activate.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, assuming that I am not in a "high production" environment, would 2013 be "safe" to use [documents, PST files etc.] without worry of document corruption?

I wouldn't need to run the two suites parallel since, if I don't like it I can always uninstall it and revert to 2010, can't I? That way I could install it off-line rather than online. I've seen a couple posts where the user did go back" to 2010. Was that a "Well, this is nice, but I'll wait for the final product", or has your experience been that some "just don't like 2012?"?

Chuck

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The key you are seeing from the utility program may be encoded or Office 2013 may be storing it in a different location. BTW, I had to manually activate.

Joe
    OK, I just fired up that machine again and opened Word 2013.

Up pops an Activation screen saying Office isn't activated and gives me the option to change the key. So I enter the Technet key I grabbed earlier and attempt to activate.

I then get an error 0xC004F014 and Windows then pops up a message about it (Windows) not being activated. System properties reports that Windows is activated.

Edit: Close Word down and re-open it. Office Activation wizard appears again. Click Activate and it runs through and activates ok now.

hmmm...
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-08-21 at 17:47.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Joe, assuming that I am not in a "high production" environment, would 2013 be "safe" to use [documents, PST files etc.] without worry of document corruption?

I wouldn't need to run the two suites parallel since, if I don't like it I can always uninstall it and revert to 2010, can't I? That way I could install it off-line rather than online. I've seen a couple posts where the user did go back" to 2010. Was that a "Well, this is nice, but I'll wait for the final product", or has your experience been that some "just don't like 2012?"?

Chuck
    Everything I tried worked flawlessly. The pst files were used by both versions of Outlook, without any issues. Word documents were created and read in both versions. Powerpoint presentations, the same exact thing. I think the Office Preview is quite stable and you can work with it reliably, per my experience.

Thanks
    What advantages or gains have you noticed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast