Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I would say there aren't huge new features, other than a closer integration with the cloud (saving documents directly to SkyDrive) and the "metronized" interface. The looks will probably attract the usual detractors, but I find it simpler to use. In some apps, especially the two I use the most (Outlook and OneNote), the ribbon is minimized by default. Outlook allows for inline replying, which feels natural and works well. Hotmail integration is now native.

Word has some of major changes. A new read mode allows for easier reading and now you can open and edit pdf documents in word. You can embed YouTube videos and, as with the other apps, you can add pics from online services such as flicrk, for example.

So, no major changes, other than the interface and the cloud integration.

Thanks
    Thanks Rui for the input. Sounds like it's worth a look. PDF editing and Hotmail integration as worthwhile changes. Although I haven't as yet used OneNote as much as I could for the benefits, this may be a good motivator.

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    No problem, you're welcome .

I can't say I am a fan of the interface colors, look rather drab to me, but I liked the apps. You can also use it for free until well into 2013.

Thanks
    Rui, this may be in the wrong thread, and if so, I apologize to the board, but it seemed applicable: If I seldom am away from my [home] office, even though I have ad use both laptop and desktop, is there any real need, beyond the somewhat minor convenience of saving the use of a thumb drive, to implementing Office 365?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Rui, this may be in the wrong thread, and if so, I apologize to the board, but it seemed applicable: If I seldom am away from my [home] office, even though I have ad use both laptop and desktop, is there any real need, beyond the somewhat minor convenience of saving the use of a thumb drive, to implementing Office 365?

Chuck
    If you have copies of your documents in the cloud and locally, it's always safer, the risk of losing them will be quite smaller. Also, using office365 will ensure you are always using the latest versions of each app. The cost of Office365 is still to be considered, at the time of Office2013 launch, as there are talks that it will move to, or include, a subscription based model. that may mean a smaller entry cost, although the impact may be better for situations where multiple users need to use Office.

There are other advantages to Office365, email wise, for example. You can have access to an exchange server, for your own domain, without a need to support the associated infrastructure.

There are also downsides, some of which need further investigation - it's cloud based, sometimes it may not be available (iSP issues, datacenter issues); cost can be higher when compared to a one off cost. You could argue some more, but it seems the move to cloud is slowly occurring. I do leave some of my documents in skydrive now (to access them using my Windows Phone, especially OneNote docs) and I guess that will only increase.

Thanks
    Thanks Rui. Paranoia would seem to still favor off-line installs, especially if lacking the need for either group or multi-faceted access.

Thanks,
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I uninstalled Office 2013 after using for a few weeks. I continued using Office 2010 after doing an office repair. All seemed to be working fine, although my googlesync program quit working. I finally had time to investigate and found that I am running Office 2010 in trail mode. I have tried several times to install the key and I still can't get it to accept the original key. It accepts the key as valid, then runs the configuration process and flashes something on the screen and returns to the program, still in trial mode. I tried doing a repair again, then installing the key, still no luck.

Thanks
    You might have to uninstall/reinstall Office 2010. It is possible when you removed the Trial of Office 2013, it corrupted something in the Office 2010 installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling. I hate losing my customizations! But at this point, I will probably spend less time with the uninstall/reinstall than I will trying to fix it.

Thanks
    I was real lucky in that I had made an image backup just before installing 2013.

My semi-final impression of 2013 is similar to what I have of Windows 8: OK if you're starting from scratch, but not that darn impressive or important as a major upgrade.

This does not address the use of either on a tablet, as I as yet don't use one. But from everything I've seen of those, I would want keyboard capabilities there as well, even if only for partial use. So I'm still leaning toward staying with both Windows 7 and Office 2010.

Strange feeling, since I generally have jumped right on the upgrade bandwagon!

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: I re-installed and it fixed all problems, except for the google calendar sync and any other program that interacts with Outlook. Here is the error I captured from GO Contact Sync:

[9/11/2012 11:00:11 AM | Warning] Error getting available Outlook folders: Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.ApplicationClass ' to interface type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook._Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00063001-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Library not registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002801D (TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED)).

Anyone know how to register the library?
    Maybe this post should be moved to the Outlook threads now?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123