Thread: Black screen

New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Black screen

Occasionally my screen turns black while its LED indicator remains green. No movement of the mouse or pressing of keys succeeds in restoring the screen (an activity which would be effective in case of a black screen with orange LED= turn of display). Meanwhile, the flickering of the LED indicator on the PC itself shows that the computer continues its normal activity. After a few minutes, equal to the power setting time of the display turn-off, when the screen LED indicator turns orange, I am able to restore normal screen activity by movement of the mouse or pressing a key.

This disturbing phenomenon occurs occasionally during routine PC activities (Word, Excel, saving, etc.) and almost always during user changes, or Administrator password popup. More recently, the screen also passed out a few times for a while during restart/reboot.

The same has happened in the past (about 2 1/2 years after purchase of the PC). Replacing Vista by total new install of Windows 7 and all other programs, repaired the problem for about 1/2 year, but recently the problem has surfaced again.

Upggrading RAM from 2 to 4 GB made my PC much faster, but did not solve this specific problem. Neither did all kinds of cleaning and defrag activities.

Could somebody, please, come up with a suggestion for a solution?

Thanks,

James

Thanks
    Check the cables from the monitor to the computer's I/O port to ensure that it is not loose.
    Check and reseat the GPU in it's PCIe slot, if applicable.

Thanks
    loew1, welcome to the Lounge.

Any way you could attach another monitor to see if the problem occurs with the different monitor?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all. The same occurs with another monitor. And the graphics card is built-in.

Thanks
    I wonder if perhaps your graphics drivers need updating. I would go to the graphics manufacturer's web site to check on drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe need to check power supply voltage. Can download HWMonitor which gives info on the voltages.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.