Thanks

Acronis True Image Home 2013 beta

Many people have asked about Acronis TIH v 2010 or 2011 or 2012. I use both Acronis TIH 2010 and 2011. Neither will work at this time with Win 8 (I have the Win 8 Ent. Eval. RTM on both my PC and my wife's PC) 2010 will not install, and 2011 will not work when installed. I get an error for both stating the app is presently blocked by Acronis as they test these 2 versions with Win 8. In looking at the Acronis page it appears 2012 is in the same boat although I have not tried it. Be advised however that both 2010 and 2011 can make Images of Win 8, you just have to boot to the Rescue Boot Media you created to create Images, which I did for both 2010 and 2011 versions on our 2 PC's.

Being a registered user of Acronis, I was eligible for the Acronis TIH 2013 beta test program. So I said "What the heck" and jumped in. Acronis supplied a key and the download link. In about 10 minutes Acronis 2013 beta was installed on my Win 8 partition. These are the various screens you will see when you boot to Acronis TIH 2013 beta (Be advised when you first start the program it asks if you would like it to search for other Acronis Images. I plugged my Ext. USB HD in and said yes. It found all the Images (My Backups, My wife's backups and my granddaughters backups.) and listed them for me.

Acronis2013one.jpg Acronis2013two.jpg

Acronis2013three.jpg Acronis2013four.jpg

I then went ahead and created an Image. You can choose any number of options. See just one in my screen shot:

Acronisfive.jpg

The initial Image took a long time (approx. 1 1/4 hours) This Image included the Win 7 partition, Win 8 partition and Data Partition. Normally I only include the OS partitions and this would be quite a bit quicker. I did this from within Windows. I normally boot to the Rescue Boot Disk and do everything from outside Windows, but I wanted to see how the app would perform inside Windows 8.

I then created a Rescue Boot Disk (see the link in the second screenshot above).

Then to verify my Image I restored to it. I first restored to the Image I had just made. I chose to restore only the Win 8 partition portion of the Image file. Very easy with Acronis. To Restore an Image, you boot to the Rescue Boot Disk and choose Recover, Whole Disk and Partitions then follow the prompts.

Then, to test things further I restored the latest Image I created with Acronis TIH2011. Restored perfectly. I then once again restored the Image I had just created so my OS is totally up to date.

Acronis TIH 2013 beta worked flawlessly. The new interface is very clean and easy to understand. I chose a full backup Image with 2 incremental Images, followed by another full Image, etc. The next time I Image I will expect just an incremental Image of the differences, and then the third time I will get a full Image again and start the process over.

From this point on I will just be Imaging my Win 8 partition as this is what I am using 100% of the time. The Image I just created for Win 7 will be sufficient if I ever have to restore Win 7.

So far my tests of Acronis True Image Home 2013 beta is a resounding positive.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-21 at 10:56.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

jaynine (2012-09-05),rmonroe36 (2012-08-21),ruirib (2012-08-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Thanks, Ted. I will join the beta program as well. Want to see how this behaves in Windows 8. I also want to see how the file synchronization feature works, as it is an interesting possibility of this new version.

Thanks
    I have not had a chance to do much more than Image. It was nice to see that this version will restore from the Images I made in earlier versions. 2011 would not do that.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    First image went ok for me, too. Was as fast as TI 2010, if not slightly faster. There are quite a few new options. Need to perform a boot disk backup with TI 2010, to have a safe fallback and then I will try to restore the image just created.

Thanks
    I just popped in the newly created Rescue Boot Disk and restored. I had made a full Image of both OS's in the last couple of days. The Rescue Boot disk restored both my newly created Image and my earlier Image (created using 2011 version). The restoration was very quick, approx. 7 to 8 minutes. I also like the UI quite a bit. This could be my next Acronis version. I still have to look at the other options.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    I explicitly created a new image today, after adding a few apps to the system and tried a restore, started from with Windows 8 itself. The process went quite smoothly, although the UI is a bit misleading - the restore seemed to proceed quite slowly, but it stopped with the indicator at about 50%! Other than that, everything went fine.

I am quite liking TI 2013. I think I will use the beta to replace TI 2010 on my desktop, so that I can test the file sync features.

Thanks
    I always boot to the Rescue disk to Create and Restore. This way everything occurs outside Windows. Plus this ensures my Boot Disk is working correctly. Just my preference.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I always boot to the Rescue disk to Create and Restore. This way everything occurs outside Windows. Plus this ensures my Boot Disk is working correctly. Just my preference.
    We all do what we prefer, Ted. I'd rather keep working while the backup proceeds. Plus, the boot disk is not an issue I care much about, as there are plenty computers to create a new one, if something goes south. I also keep several boot CDs, anyway, and even a boot pen drive .

Thanks
    Recently, I had the chance to grab ATI 2013 Home @Newegg for $9.99, as well as Disk Director for the same price, but passed on the offers. Seems that the software has a lower rating than previous versions.

I still use ATI 2010 on my IBM ThinkPad, one of the things that I like about it, is the pre-boot feature, there is a screen to press F11, & backup/restore can be accessed much faster than with a CD. Which is my preference. Seems that backups completes faster outside of the Windows environment, probably due to no other resources being ran. And restores are more successful.

Had the new version had more than a two egg rating (three eggs for 2012), I would have grabbed it. Seems that 64 bit users has the most issues with the app.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am using the release version in two computers, one running 64 bit Windows 7 and another running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, without any issues whatsoever. I find it a bit slower than my previous used version (TI 2010), but other than that, it works fine.

Thanks
    I gotta say, ATI 2013 works great for me. ATI 2010 and 2011 would not install on Win 8. The Rescue Boot disks still worked when booted to, but you could not install the app. ATI was still working on them to see if they will be updated for Win 8 use.

The Rescue Boot disk works very well. I installed ATI 2013 on my PC, and used the Disk to create images for both of our PC's. No problems at all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded Acronis TI 2013 because of an article in Windows Secrets and have to say that I'm disappointed. I think I have suffered mostly because I'm not a techie like the rest of you appear to be...I thought I was getting some sort of cloud back up for my files, but essentially it is just back up software. I'm sure it has some kind of value, but it is certainly not as user friendly as someone like me needs it to be. The trial comes with all the bells and whistles, including the cloud back up, but it wasn't until I did a lot of emailing back and forth with one of the support guys that I realized I had to spend more for that. My bad, I probably should have spent more time researching. I would have been better off to purchase an external hard drive that comes with its own back up software.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ijackson View Post
    I downloaded Acronis TI 2013 because of an article in Windows Secrets and have to say that I'm disappointed. I think I have suffered mostly because I'm not a techie like the rest of you appear to be...I thought I was getting some sort of cloud back up for my files, but essentially it is just back up software. I'm sure it has some kind of value, but it is certainly not as user friendly as someone like me needs it to be. The trial comes with all the bells and whistles, including the cloud back up, but it wasn't until I did a lot of emailing back and forth with one of the support guys that I realized I had to spend more for that. My bad, I probably should have spent more time researching. I would have been better off to purchase an external hard drive that comes with its own back up software.
    If you want to backup the whole system, online backup probably is not an option, due to the amount of information to backup. Backing up tens of Gigabytes to the cloud would be a very slow process, for sure. For me, it would be impossible. For that reason, I do think backing up to an external drive is, indeed, the best option and then you can couple it with a cloud backup of your most important files - like documents or photos, which will be smaller in size than the full system backup.

Thanks
    Cloud backup might be nice for limited data, but is just impractical for an entire drive. There will be no Imaging app that does not involve some learning curve. Did you look at the extensive help files included with True Image? There is a User Guide available for download as a PDF file.

Any Imaging app will have similar learning requirements. However this is too important to not spend the time learning how to do this with whatever app you use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The "True Image 2013 Plus Pack" enables a universal restore to any hardware ... very useful if you change to a completely new system and do not want the hassle of re0-installing all of your programs and data. (Software Licence terms do, of course still apply).
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)