Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Boot to the desktop in Win 8 & skip the start screen

I think the information in the following link may be of interest:

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-boot-d...YW5ldC5uZXQ%3D

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Thanks for posting that, Roy . It may be interesting for some members.

Personally, I love the start screen. Organize it and populate it with apps that matter to you and I don't see a reason to jump straight to the desktop.

Thanks
    I think the method to install Classic Shell is much the more simple way to go to the desktop. The authors of this article state that in a matter of seconds you are taken automatically to the Desktop. That is exactly what Classic Shell does. You will only see the Win 8 UI screen for a second or 2, then it will automatically switch to the Desktop UI. Plus you have the added benefit of the various other things Classic Shell can do.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It does show what can be done. I would be a bit cautious about using their application (option 1) without it being open source etc. One never knows what might be lurking, or what might creep into these things as users share between themselves over time. Classic Shell is open source so no concerns there.

Having said that, I was playing the other day with scheduled tasks and very easily created a task that loaded Windows Explorer upon login. It didn't bypass the Windows 8 UI, but once it had loaded the scheduled task dropped down to the desktop and opened Explorer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some OEM's offer something like this as an option during a personalisation/setup stage of a new residential grade Windows 8 PC.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    It does show what can be done. I would be a bit cautious about using their application (option 1) without it being open source etc. One never knows what might be lurking, or what might creep into these things as users share between themselves over time. Classic Shell is open source so no concerns there.

Having said that, I was playing the other day with scheduled tasks and very easily created a task that loaded Windows Explorer upon login. It didn't bypass the Windows 8 UI, but once it had loaded the scheduled task dropped down to the desktop and opened Explorer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some OEM's offer something like this as an option during a personalisation/setup stage of a new residential grade Windows 8 PC.
    I also would not be surprised if Microsoft forbade bypassing the start screen.

Joe

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think you're right Joe, but launching explorer.exe from a scheduled task technically does not bypass the Windows 8 UI: it automatically drops from the Windows 8 UI to the desktop, opening whichever explorer path you specify as it proceeds.

It's fairly clear now that boot up will be to the new Windows 8 UI. After that UI has launched, automated tools can take you elsewhere and that's where OEM's might offer configuration options.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @Tinto, I understand what you are saying but I think Microsoft wields enough power with the OEMs that adding something to avoid the Start screen, even though it is there momentarily, will not be done automatically. I have been known to be wrong on many occasions too. Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    It will not be possible to bypass Start. However, WinD, gives Desktop, clicking the Desktop tile works & if, the Desktop tile is position @ the top-left, hitting Enter when one arrives @ Start moves it to Desktop. Ergo, one is, only, @ Start long enough for 1 click or to hit 1 key... not, really, worth giving the whole thing any concern.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It will not be possible to bypass Start
    It remains to be seen whether someone can find a way to bypass or even uninstall the user interface formerly known as Metro. I wouldn't want to put money on it either way, but if it becomes a hacker challange, I think it's going down.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Get mad @ me if you like but, this whole rhetoric is just plain silly...

1, cus it all assumes there is something horrid about the Modern UI. Very mysterious or obtuse as to what that something might be.

But, mostly, this is what makes it silly...

The Start screen shows, @ Boot:
    1. The Desktop tile is placed @ the top left of any tiles, one hits Enter & lands on Desktop
    2. One clicks on the Desktop tile & lands on Desktop
    3. (this 1 is, really, involved) Hit WinD & land on Desktop

Geeesh, Folks, that's leaves it where there is nothing worth making a big fuss about it or needing to bypass for the sake of 1 click or 1 tap to 1 key (or wow, 2 w/ WinD). Ergo, nothing crucial if it cannot be fully bypassed.

Suggest focus on all the good in Win8 instead of going on & on about taking a faction of a second to go beyond the Start screen. Hit 1 measly button & go enjoy the OS instead of fussing over the Start screen for all of the 1/2 a second you have to look @ it.

You never have to visit it (Start), again, after that, anyway, so just smile & carry on w/ things that, actually, have some importance.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    To be honest, I don't understand the repeated suggestion that the Start screen should be avoided, even by those who seem to be more pro Windows 8. I quite like the fact that there are already apps that use the new live tiles feature, to display updated information - there are several news apps that do this, there is the updated calendar, there is the messaging app, if you use the Windows Live ID connected to social networks, there is the people's app. That's quite useful, IMHO. There are some new tiled apps that I think are quite interesting. The people's app is great to have an overview on twitter posts which I find an invaluable tool to keep appraised on technology (there are lots of interesting people to follow, who provide excellent tweets about technology or news). It can be used similarly for facebook, where I can get a quick overview of the posts made by my friends.

My belief is that as more Windows 8 native apps will be developed, the value of this start screen will increase. I actually leave the start screen on when I need to leave the computer, as it provides an interesting view on several areas, when I return.

Also, I have no installed any apps to restore the Start button and menu. After a couple days using the new interface, I feel I can do without those old IU restoring apps perfectly well, even if I missed it at times.

Maybe some people are just too ingrained in their ways to be willing to change. My kid saw my start screen two days ago and he immediately asked me if i could upgrade his own laptop. He is 12 years old .

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To put a slightly different slant on the debate, I have been running the full Win 8 since last week, but perhaps not in a mainstream manner. My Win8 test box is on a rack away from my main workstation. I can just about reach the power button if I stretch and I can see half of the monitor attached to it and other units via a KVM. To keep video bandwidth usable on a hi resolution monitor, my workstation is not on that KVM.

I have been using VNC and RDP to connect to the Win8 box for testing purposes. Using these connection protocols, the lack of a clickable start button makes life really quite hard. Not impossible, but certainly quite hard. The response of the RDP/VNC update means the hot spots are difficult to use accurately. There are keyboard shortcuts, but at present I'm not really wanting to try memorise a new set of command functions and in any case sending the Win key over RDP/VNC etc is not quick and easy, so using shortcuts gets frustrating anyway. I tried it with Logmein earlier and although Logmein works fine on Win8, I had similar similar degrees of difficulty unless I had a button to press or an easy way to switch to Start. I suspect VM's will give the same results too.

OK, I accept that this method of use is going to be quite rare in the residential use of the OS, but for businesses with IT support teams, easy RDP use is essential.

In these circumstances the ability to have a clickable button is, I contend, a more efficient tool than trying to send the Win key sequences over RDP, VNC or some other remote access protocol. With a clickable button there is a positive registration that an action has been requested. With Classic Shell, I can easily switch to Start with a Shift/Click. I can remove the function of the hotspots and no longer need worry about hitting them with an errant mouse.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm far from being a naysayer: I have to find ways to use the OS as I've said elsewhere, my livelihood depends on it. I am warming to the new OS and I'm now thinking about loading it onto an old laptop lying around so I can think about other usability issues, but right now having Classic Shell installed makes my evaluations a lot easier, and I think something like that will be a huge benefit for corporate support when the time comes.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ok, that said, let me clarify something. And, yes, it's, certainly, clear by now that I think well of Windows8 but, ... anyway, to continue...

Simply because there is no much (silly) stuff bashing the Start screen and its Tiles, I have shown or explained to people how one can easily (just) go to Desktop. I have, also, addressed how (all) applications can be accessed elsewhere & w/out leaving Desktop & w/out visiting start. However, this does not simultaneously suggest APPs a bad, dumb or useless. I do agree some are very cool & utilitarian. Yes, it is true one could have not 1 Tiles besides the Desktop Tile on Start, OR NOT. It is, also, true APPs that one does care to use can be accessed from Start before (or after) going to Desktop or from elsewhere after getting on Desktop.

Myself, I do have a few Tiles on Start but, only such that I don't have to scroll, @ all, to see them (all). Regardless of whether I fire any before of after going to Desktop, I'll habitually keep such things as Weather, Calendar, News and the Backgammon game (lol) active on the APP Bar. Ergo, it becomes a hybrid between making use (yes some can have value) & not dwelling (both meanings) on Start.

What I have been trying to convey is that one can chose or decide what Tiles they will have on Start or not... aside from how they are organized, arranged, sized or grouped. That anything can be accessed w/out ever needing to visit Start or leave Desktop. I, also, have been trying to address a myth that I think people are getting... and that is an all or nothing idea or a lack of awareness to using the APP Bar. It is, really, attractive that one can be on Desktop, yet, have Active APPS, @ the ready, on the APP Bar... open any of them when wanted & back to Desktop. There seems to be, in people's minds that going to 1 wipes out the other & it is not the case.

Some or, maybe, a lot of it, comes down to 'understanding' Windows8 as to liking it, enjoying it or thinking it's terrible and should be disliked. And, indeed, there is a lot more to it that is good beyond & besides the Start screen or the UI.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    @Tinto,

I totally understand that point of view . It does make sense, the UI response is always delayed through remote connections and thus the hotspots are harder to deal with. I guess that probably wasn't a major concern when this UI was thought of.

There are things with the interface that I think need improvement, too. The overall UI of windows 8 apps is not the best design i have seen, they look rather crude and the lack of a visible way to close apps is very unsatisfying. I think the new UI is clearly a work in progress, but there are things about it that I really like, and that live Start screen is one of those things.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    By the way, IF, live APPS are on the APP Bar, Rt Clk on any 1 of them & a wee menu pops w/ CLOSE on it. I've found using the APP Bar & handling, managing active APPs there is the nicest way to work things. But, of course, that's working from & Desktop not, exclusively, being on a single APP & dragging it down or something to close it. There are ways, w/out adding any 3rd party stuff to make using & navigating Win8 and APPs quite slick, smooth & 'happy'. I, really, think the unhappy people could, maybe, be happy if they better grasped how it CAN work for them.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast