New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost local network accessiblity, can still connect to internet

I have a problem that I just can't figure out.

I have a laptop computer running Windows 7 Pro that I've used for a few years successfuly on my home network. I recently went on vacation and successfully connected to hotel computers, assigning them the Public profile.

When I got home, I can see my network name and connect to the internet. However, all the computers on my home network are not accessible and visible. This is true no matter if I connect by Wi-Fi or ethernet.

I can run Network Scanner (a windows program the searches the local network when you enter a IP range) that identifies any computers or printers or network devices it finds, with the associated IP address. When I run this program, all the network devices show up. If I double-click on an IP address in Network Scanner of a networked computer, Windows Explorer opens and I can then move or copy files.

What I can't do is have notepad++, for instance, open and save files to a network computer as I could before I went away. Also, My Network doesn't show the other computers. I have no problem running Firefox and getting on the internet. I have run the network diagnostics, and I get the following error message: Problem Found: file and print sharing resource (network name) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.

However, I have another Windows 7 Pro computer, a desktop, that has no problem connecting to this XP computer. I also have another XP computer and a Windows 98 computer that is on the network and they successfully connect to each other and the Windows 7 desktop. I don't have a Homegroup setup, just the normal workgroup. The only problem is with the laptop. I suspect something was changed, unbeknownst to me, while I was away and connected to a public network. I can't figure out what it is.

I have searched for a solution on line, talked to friends who are knowledgeable and am stymied.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul Demmitt

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are all computers on the same workgroup?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, they are on the same workgroup; not a homegroup.

All of the other computers (2 XP, 1 WIN7 and 1 WIN98) see each other and can exchange files and print to the network printers (not shown in the screenshot). The laptop used to be able to do all those things too.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by pjdemmitt; 2012-08-21 at 21:30. Reason: clarification

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

We've been getting calls about this all day at Plusnet, I noticed you might need some help fixing this, I found out a few tips today.

Firstly can you ping the router, if it fails, your most likely affected by the Windows update, also the "unidentied network" is a noticeable symptom.

If you can ping the router, Gratz! all you need to do it go to your start menu > control panel > depending on Os windows 7 is programs and features, Xp add and remove programs. Once in here select Mcafee, you can right click it and press uninstall. Restart computer, jobs a good'en we're back online, just reinstall should work fine (I have only seen it once in the past couple of days when a customer could ping router but was a windows update issue).

Ok if you can't ping the router, oh dear, if you do ipconfig as well it will most likely not give you a default gatesway or ipv4 address. First step is to disable and renable the network adaptor in your "change adaptor settings" for 7, Vista is set to "manage network adpators" in network and sharing centre. If you have XP you might have connect to in your start ment, click on that and go on network connections, This will also be located in your control panel, one in here, right click your connection, like Ethernet local area connect, or wireless network connection 2 etc.

Alot of my fellow tech guys were just suggesting system restore, but I wanted to find out the actual KB number, and after a lot of kind customers let me exploye there computer on what the issues could be. Plus i had one call were a customer had no restore points due to not having it set, so in case you don't have any restore points (even after ticking show more restore points), we'll have to remove each Microsoft windows update, after pressing uninstall an update or windows component down the left hand side or programs or add and remove programs. Ignore the other updates when the list loads, the section we care about is the Microsoft Windows, organise these in date by clicking installed-on, and remove any there up untill the 16/08/12.

If you see a Kb number ending with either 500, 209, 073 remove them, as they seem to be the main culprits.

I hope this helps, and I hope you all the best of luck, if I find anything else out i'll let you know

Plusnettechlad

Doin ya proud!

Administrator
    Thanks
    So you can open all other computers by IP address, and save to them if you use the IP address, can you confirm that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that's correct; I can open any of the computers by IP, and then copy and save to them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What happens if you click the Start button and type \\ followed by a computer name? Can you browse the computer?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it returns a message that it can't find the computer, and then the same message as above about file and printer sharing resource.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if the suggestion here helps.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

pjdemmitt (2012-08-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It worked! Thank you so much! I've been stymied for more than two weeks! Reading the follow-on to the link you sent, it sounds like it's nothing I did, but that this will sometimes just happen. I will keep the registry file for future use.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am really glad you solved it .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, YOU solved it. But I'm glad it worked! Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well I am glad it worked, too . This can be very frustrating and I have experienced it myself.