5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Do I need to install Office 2003 SP3 just for Publisher?

We still use Office 2003 Publisher. All the other Office programs we use are Office 2007 versions. Windows Update keeps asking us to update the2003 suite with sp3, but Publisher does not appear to be in Microsoft's list of programs that are fixed by this update.

As always, when stumped, I come here!

Should I go ahead anyway or forget about it?

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Linda

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You should be able to install 2 different versions of Office side by side. All apps EXCEPT Outlook will work. Only one version of Outlook is allowed. Unfortunately WU does not realize you do not have the entire 2003 suite. Unless you see an update for Publisher 2003 I would ignore, or perhaps hide (right click and choose hide). Obviously all updates related to 2007 should be considered.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-21 at 13:41.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    We still use Office 2003 Publisher. All the other Office programs we use are Office 2007 versions. Windows Update keeps asking us to update the2003 suite with sp3, but Publisher does not appear to be in Microsoft's list of programs that are fixed by this update.

As always, when stumped, I come here!

Should I go ahead anyway or forget about it?

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Linda
    SP3 won't remove anything that you have now. If there are no patches for Publisher in SP3, it will remain installed just as it is now.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    SP3 won't remove anything that you have now. If there are no patches for Publisher in SP3, it will remain installed just as it is now.
    To clarify, are you saying that I should go ahead and apply the patch even though I have only Publisher 2003 installed? Sorry to be a tad dense on this!

In rereading my first post, noticed that I wasn't clear on what I had on the computer: Office 2007 basic programs are all installed, and I have installed Publisher 2003 from our earlier Professional Office 2003 Suite. No other 2003 programs are installed.

Thanks again for your help!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2012-08-21 at 18:44.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, you should apply the patch. The patch will determine what apps should be patched and act accordingly. Do not worry about it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, ruirib. Thanks for your advice ... and reassurance. You could tell I was worrying about it!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    No problem, you are welcome .

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another thought may be to upgrade to Office 2010. There are a lot of improvements in it, and any business edition comes with Publisher at no extra cost.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Progress Update: SP3 all done and with no issues at all! Many thanks for guiding me through it.

Linda

P.S. Re. Office 2010 suggestion. Thank you. It is on the list - especially since the Publisher we use (when we use it which is not too often right now) is so dated a version.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If it is not on the immediate list you should look at Office 2013. No firm release information on it other than 2013.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I've seen a couple of blurbs about it, too. Agree that I might as well wait and see since 2007 and the one 2003 are working just fine - and doing all we need to do right now.

Thanks, Joe.