3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Should "Dell Restore" & "Dell Utility" be imaged?

I have an older Dell Dimension 9200 running XP Professional Service Pack 3.

That computer's hard drive was partitioned into 3 drives (C, I, & J) after I got it (Using Norton Partition Magic).

Because of the distinct items on each partitioned drive, I do images of each partitioned drive separately using Norton Ghost 10.0

Using Norton Ghost 10.0, it shows the 3 partitioned drives (C, I, & J), but it also shows 2 additional drives (Dell Restore & Dell Utility).

Although I regularly image the 3 partitioned drives (C, I, & J), I very seldom image the Dell Restore nor the Dell Utility drives - because I "assume" they are also imaged as part of the C drive.

Am I wrong in making that assumption?

Should I also regularly separately image the Dell Restore & the Dell Utility drives?
    Does any information on either of those 2 drives ever change?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Steven,

Your assumption is incorrect. Unless you image the entire drive you will not get these partitions in your image.
    The Dell Restore partition contains an image of the way the machine was when it was shipped to you. This can be very useful if you ever want to sell/give the computer to someone else. It can be invoked by pressing Ctrl+F11 at boot time and will completely obliterate the drive and set it up as it was when shipped. The Utility partition can be booted when Windows will not boot and possibly fix and/or diagnose what is wrong with the computer.

That said you only really need to image those partitions once as they will not change. Some of us have even gone as far as to delete these two partitions from our machines, see this post, since a good regimine of multiple images make them somewhat redundant. However, both of them take up so little space that why not just image the whole disk.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

StevenXXXX (2012-08-21)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Steven,

Your assumption is incorrect. Unless you image the entire drive you will not get these partitions in your image.

That said you only really need to image those partitions once as they will not change.

However, both of them take up so little space that why not just image the whole disk.

Since neither the Dell Restore nor the Dell Utility partitions ever change, I will just never image them again.
    Besides, I already have more than 1 image of both of them (albeit separately).

I have only imaged all of the drives together in 1 image a couple of times which I think I now no longer have.

I always image each Partition separately & although it took very little time to also separately image the Dell Restore & Dell Utility partitions, that is a little bit of time I no longer have to spend.

Thanks for your assistance.