Thanks

Office 2013 Trial problems

Thank goodness I backed up my system before I started this! First, Outlook is trying to set up new PST's for my IMAP accounts. Now, I can deal with that [I think!], but then...

I went back to my 2010 to check my mail, and the accounts are there, but it asks me to activate the software. That would be nice, but in the activation window there Arte NO numbers to read to the support dude. And then, it gave me an error that IO had activated too many times

So, aside form all the *white* on the screen in 2013, and that it wants to take over all my defaults, 2013 also felt the need to deactivate my 2010, AND steal the number!

Does this mean I cannot run them together? AND, I know this is a preview, but is there a way to tone down all that white?

This is not going and/or boding well for my attitude toward Office 2013.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I run O2013 and 2010 on the same machine without issue. For the rest, I don't think I can comment due to NDA but why not provide your feedback to MS, who can actually do something about it, rather than here?
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

Thanks
    Rory, you're correct...I am going to when they are open -- which they were not when this happened. They had closed 30 minutes prior -- another slip-up I think may be a bit short-sighted during a testing period like this. But I am going to get in touch.

I did think I should give feedback here as the discussion concerning 2013 had preceded my experiences.

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Did you use the Office365 Home Premium preview?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm afraid that the whitespace is going to stick. It is a design decision made to focus more on the data than the program presenting it. There may be other themes available but I have not looked.

If you use the Office365 HP preview, you should be able to run the full Office 2013 suite including Outlook side-by-side with Office 2010. If you used the full download (which I believe you did) you are subject to the older restrictions about only one Outlook at a time. In any event the Office 2013 install should NOT have taken over or invalidated Office 2010 in any way.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    In any previous Office version, you could only have one version of Outlook installed at a time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Office 2013 is the same.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    In any previous Office version, you could only have one version of Outlook installed at a time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Office 2013 is the same.
    I believe that if you use the web installer you end up getting a VM for the Office 2013 beta. That way you can run two Outlooks. If you use the full offline installer you have the same restrictions as before when you keep more than one version of Office - i.e. only one version of Outlook.

Joe