New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Windows 8 Start screen problem

Hi, guys. I am a newcomer here. I need your kind advice. I have installed Windows 8 in my Lenovo U410, but it is not so convenient as I imagined. especially when I look for a specific application such as PS, AE, or Corel VidioStudio's plug-in in my laptop. I want to use third-party apps to replace Start screen. I googled and their said Classic shell, Wentutu Start menu and Start8 can realize Start menu in Windows 8 but I don't know which one is the best and which are free apps. Anybody can give some recommends? Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Hi,

Although I haven't used it myself, Classic Shell seems to be a favorite among some of our users.

Thanks
    I do us Classic Shell (I like the way I can access CP as a menu item) It is free and very customizable.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ditto to Medico and ruirib. Classic Shell being used by myself and colleague.

Thanks
    Mercedes, You have asked this same question in 3 separate forums, and received the same answer from different people. Let us know how it works for you.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-22 at 07:46.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mercedes

Windows 8 versions from DP to Enterprise Evaluation are Evaluation software. Evaluate it.

Install whatever you are curious about and see how it works. If you install something you don't like, or that breaks the operating system, then use Revo-uninstaller to remove it, or at worst just clean off your hard disk and reinstall from scratch. That's what you do with evaluation software. Or you could use imaging software to create an image that you can restore from, although Windows 8 is so easy to reinstall from scratch that I don't bother.

If you have committed the classic newbie blunder of installing pre-release software on your production machine, then you have bigger problems than finding a Start menu program.

Thanks
    I have to agree with Prescott. All versions of Win 8 that we can get are for testing at this stage. So test away. I do use Images because I have set my Win 8 Ent. Eval. up exactly as my Win 8 Pro will be set up to allow my testing in real world scenarios. I have installed most of the apps I will be installing when I custom install Win 8 Pro in October. Although the installation of Win 8 is surprisingly easy to install as Prescott has mentioned, adding all my customizations and apps takes a good 4 hours or so. With an Image I can be back in less than 10 minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had more stuff installed on Windows 8 CP, like Office 2013 Beta, but after I determined that it installed and worked okay, I didn't reinstall it on RP or Enterprise Evaluation. Currently I have the following installed.

Adobe Flash
    CPUID CPU-Z 1.58
    Magical Jelly Bean KeyFinder
    Microsoft Garage Mouse Without Borders
    Mozolla Firefox 1.50
    Revo Uninstaller Pro 2.5.8
    ViStart
    Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Let me say this about ViStart, I like their Start Menu, but I don't recommend that anyone install it, because they install crap-ware that hijacks your browsers. I used Revo-Uninstaller which got rid of most of it, but I had to uninstall and re-install Firefox to get rid of the crap-ware in it.

Thanks
    That's why I like Classic Shell. No crapware going along for the ride. For those that hate the hot corners, Classic Shell lets you disable them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    That's why I like Classic Shell. No crapware going along for the ride. For those that hate the hot corners, Classic Shell lets you disable them.
    I didn't know that. Maybe I'll try installing Classic Shell on the other computer tomorrow.

Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I say I didn't know that, I meant that I didn't know that Classic Shell could disable the hot corners.

Thanks
    Something new in the latest edition, V3.6.1.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Prescott (2012-08-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, everyone here! I tried every app I mentioned and even more apps recommended by others. Just like what Medico said, I have asked the same question in several places. Last weekend (8/25-8/26, we may in different time zone), I installed all of the one by one. Here are my feelings: 1. Classic Shell. It is really powerful and has many functions. What's more, it has many Start menu of different versions of Windows, thus users can choose whatever they like. 2. Wentutu Start Menu. It is a brand new app. It doesn't have the numerous functions but it is really simple to operate. The interface is brief either. 3. Start8. It is brief as Wentutu Start Menu as well. It enables quick access and searching of installed applications. 4. ViStart. Nothing different with Start8 (personal opinion). So, sum up, if you want try more and you are a very classic man even want back to Windows 98's Start menu, then you can use Classic Shell. If you are lazy (like me, the simpler, the better), then you may try the last three apps. By the way, what I am using now is Wentutu Start Menu, though it is a new app, it has Wentutu Speed RamDisk. This is what it attracts me. New enough everything!

Thanks
    Thank you for your perspective on the differences. Many of us use one or the other, but may have not tried all 3 or 4. I know there is another called Power8 which I briefly looked at, but as I was already using Classic Shell I could not see a good reason to switch.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted