Thanks

Can a Macbook connect via VPN/RDP to a PC?

Expressed rather more informatively, a number of our users use a VPN and Remote Desktop Connection on their home PC to connect to their work PC.

This would be entirely possible using a wireless laptop with the appropriate 3G WiFi dongle, but I haven't been asked to do it yet.

Someone is asking whether their Macbook could do the same sort of thing, which would require there to be the equivalent software on the Macbook to set up a VPN and use their equivalent of Remote Desktop Connection software.

Has anyone come across this, or (even better!) done it?
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    There is a version of Remote Desktop for Mac, included with Office 2011 for Mac: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client.

Other options could be the use of something like TeamViewer, or LogMeIn.

Not sure if a Mac includes VPN clients, but there are 3rd party clients available.

So it seems doing it, technically wise, wouldn't be terribly hard, but no, I haven't done it.

Thanks
    Thanks for that information and those suggestions!
    We'd have to factor in the cost of Office 2011 for Mac, then.
    Or of TeamViewer/LogMeIn, which probably would cost, for companies.

Maybe we should stick with the Windows laptops we know and love...
    It would certainly minimise any learning curve.
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    LogMeIn seems to have a basic free version and I see no reference to restrictions about its use. All the other options (either LogMeIn or TeamViewer) would require payment.

It's a shame that Microsoft seems to be intent on killing Live Mesh, as there is a great free remote desktop client included. There is a Live Mesh for Mac, but I don't know if the remote desktop feature is supported.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    For sure the RDP client in Office for Mac works fine. I've had instances where this has been used to connect. VPN is available in Snow Leopard, so I assume other versions of OSX too.

According to this page, Microsoft offer the RDP for Mac version included in the Office for Mac, for free.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can confirm that the Microsoft RDP Mac client (called RDC on a Mac) works great. I use it every day. It is included with Office for Mac, but you can also download it for free from Microsoft's pages (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client).

Most of my clients use Microsoft's VPN server component of Windows servers (Small Business Server 2003, 2008, 2011), and OS X versions (Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion) all have the necessary VPN client software built in. You may be able to configure OS X's VPN settings to work with various third-party VPNs, but YMMV. Several of the third-party VPN vendors do offer Mac client software as well.

Chip

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can use Mac compatible VPN client in order to connect remotely from MAC computers. Alternatively, you can try using other remote support tools such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. or can deploy on premise remote support appliance such as Bomgar or RHUB appliances in order to establish remote connection between MAC and other computers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I'm using VPN via iPad.
    Last edited by satrow; 2014-01-28 at 12:55.