2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

file transfer errors

I recently tried to use the restore option in the Windows 7 Files and Settings Transfer Wizzard and was disappointed that the current pst files were not available. Apparently when I transfered files in 2010 I created a new pst in Outlook. That new file was not picked up in my recent attempt a creating a new F&T file. There is a file outlook.pst and a outlook(2).pst. One has my mail up to 2010, the other has only the email from an address I don't use much. Any suggestions on what happened and why? Hints on being sure all pst's are included in the F&T would also be helpful. Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    It's hard to say what may have happened, as what you tried to do is not very clear. You should make sure all your accounts are configured to use the same pst file. To get rid of the second one, you just need to open it in Outlook (from the file->open menu) and then copy the messages to the other file by drag and drop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To rephrase, I understood that all email is stored in a pst file and F&T automaticly (using defaults) includes pst files. When I restored from F&T, I can see how perhaps the currect file was not transfered but my email should be someplace. I can't find it. I have tried all the pst's that come up in the search. Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    You need to check the details for the account you are using to find out what pst file is being used. In Outlook 2010, that is done through File->Account Settings. Here you can have a look at how the screens look: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...ount-settings/. Just check the first 2 images.