5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing without hassles or cables

BEST HARDWARE
    Printing without hassles — or cables

By Michael Lasky

Without cables tethering your Wi-Fi–enabled printer, you no longer need position the printer near your PC. The addition of ePrint Web services built into some Wi-Fi printers means you can send your print jobs from anywhere you find an Internet connection.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-hardware/printing-without-hassles-or-cables/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2012-08-22 at 19:19.

Lounger
    Thanks

wi fi printing

Like you, I decided to get a wi fi printer that I could use with my iPad as well as my windows machines. I bought and HP photosmart 5510 all in one. It took no setting up and within a few minutes of opening the box I had it working. problems showed up when I used the iPad. Connections were lost after the printer went into power saving mode. After much research and talking with Apple experts I came to the conclusion that the problem was my router - I was using a Belkin router and it seems there have been problems in the past between Belkin and iPads. I switched to a Netgear router and since then everything has worked without problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I own an HP Officejet 6700 Premium printer. Your original setup could be due to a faulty connection. I had no problems. Also I bought mine at COSTCO for $99.00. A new user has to log-in to use the WEB connected solutions. HP gives you an email address for that purpose that has an address of name@hpeprint.com. If you are new to some printers this can be confusing. The quality of the printing is really great for an inkjet printer and really fast. The photos using HP Premium Photo are outstanding.When making photos you suck up a lot of ink, but that is the price for quality.This is my first Wifi printer and I am extremely happy with it. I don't have any connectivity problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Network security?

The first (and only) wireless printer I ever tried to set up (for a friend) was an HP Officejet (can't remember the model number) and, as near as I could tell, it did not support encrypted wireless. So we set it up the old fashioned way by wifi through another computer. I there a way to do this that I did not get?? Do the newer models handle an ecrypted connection?

Thanks
    The price was not stated for the Securifi Router/Range Extender. It is sold through Amazon.com for $79.00 (US). Free Super Saver shipping. Not sold in stores at this time.
    -- Bob Primak --

Ken Kashmarek
    I think this doesn't work if you don't have a WiFi router.

Routers are ways to invade your network. You have to set them up securely, like use encryption and no ID broadcast (allow only known MAC addresses to connect). Failure to do so leaves them vulnerable, especially to things like the CICSO program to take over your routers from their servers (certain models only thus far, but all models eventually; this was scrapped but it will be back with a vengence).

Further, it is alleged that some printer models are fully equipped to be invaded (same as your computers) for writing and storing things such as malware, and as such, could spread that throughout your network. Some even have disk drives that store your output, which can be retrieved later. Printers are not all just write only devices.

Just wait until your (not necessarily wanted) WiFi enabled appliances - refrigerator, microwave, freezer, coffee maker, THERMOSTAT, meter readers - become like some of these printers (or become cell phone enabled). You won't have a safe network ever again because you can't control these devices but the crooks will figure it out. Your car, like your smart TV, is already in trouble.