New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot do an upgrade installation

I have a Win 7 Pro 32-bit installation on a HP desktop with a quad-core processor. I have been unable to install either SP1 or IE9 using Windows Update, although all other updates through and including those om the July Patch Tuesday did install successfully. I decided to do an in-place (update) installation of Windows 7 SP1 using the appropriate downloaded file. When I try to install, I get an error screen that says that I must have the SP1 update installed before I can do an upgrade installation with a SP1 disk. Since the point of doing the upgrade was to include SP1, this seems to be a catch-22. Does anyone understand what might be going on here? Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Try a non destruct repair install prior to installing the service pack. Obviously something is amiss on your setup.
    And this should go without saying: Ensure you have an appropriate imaged and non imaging based backup regimens in place
    that have you tested and can rely upon in the event you cannot boot your system.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I found myself in a similar situation - unable to install SP1, no matter what I tried. What solved it was exactly what Clint is suggesting - a repair install. Once it was completed (and it may take quite a few hours, be prepared) I was able to install SP1 without issues.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - I tried a repair (upgrade) installation using my original Win 7 Pro (Upgrade version) disk. The installation appeared to proceed without a glitch, but when it was complete and the system did its final reboot, a message showed up at the bottom of the splash screen that said that the upgrade installation was not successful and the previous installation was being restored. Then, when my system rebooted again, I got an error window that said that the upgrade version I tried to install was not compatible with my computer. My problem with that is, of course, that I was trying to do a repair installation of exactly the same OS that has been running on this hardware since shortly after the release date of Win 7, with no other problems except that it would not do either the SP1 or the IE9 updates. There have also been no hardware changes of any kind except for an exact replacement keyboard. Looking for additional suggestions. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That's very weird. If the version was incompatible, you'd be informed at the start of the process, not at the end. Did you disable all your security apps before starting the repair install?

Thanks
    This might be a good point to consider, (don't yell, I'm only the messenger) a complete reinstall. I know, all your apps would have to be reinstalled as well.

Back up your data and start over. It's pretty obvious something strange has happened. Something that has screwed things up badly to a point you cannot do a repair install. Might even be a H/W failure although you won't know until you try the reinstall.

Once you're back up and running properly, look into Imaging!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy