Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Windows 7 Firewall

    Firewall doesn't notify me when programs are blocked. Control Panel >Windows Firewall shows Home or work (private networks) as Not Connected.

    While Public networks show as Connected. I've customized settings to each type of network and for Home I ticked Turn on Windows Firewall, but that doesn't make any difference, not connected still shows. What most I do to get home or work connected?

    I haven't checked the firewall settings since I removed a third-party firewall months ago.

    Gloria
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you travel between different networks? Is that a laptop?

    You realize, of course, that you can only be connected to a type of network at a time, so that behavior is perfectly normal. You can change the network type to be home (most likely the type for you if this is a desktop computer) or even work.
    If there are no other computers there, anyway, the value is not very relevant. Probably keeping the public value is the best option.

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,577
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    With Windows 7 you can have three different network profiles - work, home, & public. Each profile by default is allowed certain access. The first time you connect to a network you are asked what kind of network it is - work, home, or public. Public is the most restrictive about accessing objects on your PC. Public is generally used when travelling or at a Starbucks or simlir locations. At home, most people select "Home" for the network type.

    As far as the firewall notifying you, it must be configured that way. There are certain programs it is going to let through. Also, any connection that you initiate from the PC means the inbound response will not be blocked. See Windows 7 firewall as a starting point for learning more.

    Joe

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by Duchess843 View Post
    Firewall doesn't notify me when programs are blocked. Control Panel >Windows Firewall shows Home or work (private networks) as Not Connected.

    While Public networks show as Connected. I've customized settings to each type of network and for Home I ticked Turn on Windows Firewall, but that doesn't make any difference, not connected still shows. What most I do to get home or work connected?

    I haven't checked the firewall settings since I removed a third-party firewall months ago.

    Gloria

    Check out 'Tiny Wall' for Windows Firewall. I use it and it's a good addition to Win 7 Firewall, easy to use and safer.

    http://www.davescomputertips.com/201...-sliced-bread/





    Last edited by acme12; 2012-08-24 at 15:23. Reason: misspell

  5. #5
    Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    With Windows 7 you can have three different network profiles - work, home, & public. Each profile by default is allowed certain access. The first time you connect to a network you are asked what kind of network it is - work, home, or public. Public is the most restrictive about accessing objects on your PC. Public is generally used when travelling or at a Starbucks or simlir locations. At home, most people select "Home" for the network type.

    As far as the firewall notifying you, it must be configured that way. There are certain programs it is going to let through. Also, any connection that you initiate from the PC means the inbound response will not be blocked. See Windows 7 firewall as a starting point for learning more.

    Joe
    Youe explaination about network profiles was very understandable, the link you sent, even more so. Especially the one titled: Understanding Windows Firewall Settings.

    As for being notified, I fooled around in settings after I made this post. Now, I'm receiving notifications almost every day and that's because this is the first time it's been in use. So, someting I did in settings started it working. The default settings must have been changed by the 3rd party firewall I was using.

    ruirib: I do not travel between networks and this computer is a desktop. Therefore I don't want the public networks to be connected.

    Thanks guys for all your asssistance.
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you have other computers in your house? Do you have a home network?
    If you don't, setting the active profile to be Public, sets the most restrictive of the 3 profiles, which makes sense if there is no network. If you have a network, then choosing Home is probably the best, as the firewall will allow the usual activities for such a network, such as file and printer sharing.

  7. #7
    Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Do you have other computers in your house? Do you have a home network?
    If you don't, setting the active profile to be Public, sets the most restrictive of the 3 profiles, which makes sense if there is no network. If you have a network, then choosing Home is probably the best, as the firewall will allow the usual activities for such a network, such as file and printer sharing.
    I do have more than one computer and on a home network. I've set the firewall to Home.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That's the best option, then.

  9. #9
    Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huahuafood View Post
    With Windows 7 you can have three different network profiles - work, home, & public. Each profile by default is allowed certain access.

    The two image links failed to appear. I only get a blank window for both.
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •