New Lounger
    Thanks

How to prevent "battery/plugged in" from adjusting screen brightness

How can I prevent my laptop from adjusting the screen brightness every time I unplug it or plug it in? The power options settings require that I choose a default screen brightness for both "plugged in" and "on battery". I just want it to be set such that unplugging or plugging in has no effect on the brightness--so that it just stays set at whatever I had it set at the moment before. I tweak the screen brightness a lot due to ambient lighting in my environment and I do not want to have to readjust the setting just because I happened to unplug my laptop for a minute. Is this possible?

Thanks
    Just open Power Options, Choose a Power Plan (Balanced or Power Saver) then Edit Power Settings. Then put the brightness sliders where you wish them. Change the unplugged slider to the same as the Plugged in slider.

PowerPlansSettings.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I think you misunderstood, I will try to clarify. The problem is this:

Quote Originally Posted by sviddx View Post
    I tweak the screen brightness a lot due to ambient lighting in my environment and I do not want to have to readjust the setting just because I happened to unplug my laptop for a minute.
    In other words, I adjust the brightness settings constantly due to the other lighting in my vicinity; I do this in the course of working (and I just use the keys on my keyboard, not the cumbersome settings window). So my problem is that I want there to be no default setting. I want the default to be "whatever the current setting is". I don't want plugging in or unplugging to trigger any adjustment. Is this possible?

Thanks
    Don't think that's possible. The best you can do is set up a custom default the way Ted explained and go from there as you use your laptop.

Jerry

Thanks
    I would think if you set the custom settings the same for plugged and unplugged that the brightness would be the same whether you remove the plug or not. Perhaps this isn't the way it works, but I thought it did.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, I think he is constantly changing his brightness settings depending on lighting conditions and no one setting satisfies him. its not just depending on battery vs power.

Jerry

Thanks
    I guess there really is not a simple way to do this, at least that I am aware of.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Moderator might shoehorn into this balderdash.

Try sunglasses that adust to brightness.

You will find that manufacturers often have their own (allegedly) more refined power plans, but more interestingly, although slightly off-topic, is the matter of using different colour schemes which may be more efficient and less power-intensive to begin with. I suggest you right-click on the screen and click on 'Personalize' to see if you can come up with something.

Thanks
    About the only way I can see that you could do this would be to set up a whole bunch of power plans with slight differences between the screen brightness between each. Depending on the ambient light you could select the appropriate power plan from moment to moment.

But I presume that your laptop has a pair of Fn+Fx combinations which can increase or decrease brightness rather more rapidly?

Perhaps you could write a program which would use your webcam to detect ambient brightness and use a Windows API to set the appropriate screen brightness?
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Perhaps you could write a program which would use your webcam to detect ambient brightness and use a Windows API to set the appropriate screen brightness?
    Might try the free program f.lux http://stereopsis.com/flux/
    f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you're in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again.
    Tell f.lux what kind of lighting you have, and where you live. Then forget about it. F.lux will do the rest, automatically.