Thanks

Question about paid MSDN subscription

For those of you that do qualify for the MSDN download of the Win 8 PRO RTM through your paid MSDN subscriptions, have you downloaded and installed Win 8 Pro? Were you asked for the key when you installed?

There have been comments on other forums about never being asked to enter a key during the installation and thus not having an activated installation.

How about those with the paid TechNet subscriptions? How was your installation?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Technet subscribers download the full non-time limited version which requires a key to activate. You request a key separately to the download. During the installation, the product asks you for the key.

/Edit: here's a screen grab showing the download and key request page from my subscription. The download is separate to the request for a key. On the target machine, the installation will not proceed unless a key is entered.

Technet.JPG

I expect the process is exactly the same for MSDN subscribers.

However, MSDN also offer the free 90 day time-limited Enterprise version for evaluation which does not require a key to be manually entered to install.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-08-24 at 06:28. Reason: Added screen grab of download
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    I did download the 90 day Ent Eval copy and it was automatically activated just as Win 8 CP was.

There have been several people in a Win 8 forum that stated they got Win 8 through their MSDN subscription and it was NOT activated and did NOT ask for the key they were supplied with. I am just trying to determine if this is actually a problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Well that's odd.

To my knowledge, the standard and Pro downloads from Technet and MSDN will require a key at installation time. Only the Free Enterprise Evaluation does not.

Could they be using trying the VL (Volume Licence) version? This is not available to my level of subscription, so I don't know how that process works with Technet.

I did have a peculiar event when testing Office 2013 beta on my Win8 machine. It failed activation of Office 2013 at the first attempt with the key I was given by Technet. Immediately after failing, Windows 8 popped up a message that stated it (Windows 8) was no longer activated, even though system properties said it was. A few hours later I went back to the machine and that time Office 2013 Beta activated. I wonder if there be something a bit flaky with the activation process?

Another thought: The full, non-time limited, Enterprise version is also available to Technet and MSDN subscribers. That version would require a key from Technet or MSDN. However, if somebody has a full MSDN subscription account what happens if they install the Free 90-day Enterprise Evaluation product from MSDN, and then attempt activate it using a key from their paid-for account? My guess that process would through up an activation error as the keys would be different.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    That could be the problem. There is a work around for that if it happens.

Once the installation was complete, a popup notification telling them to activate Windows. Follow the instruction and tried to activate, but received the following message:
    "Windows can't activate right now." Error Code: 0x8007232B

Solution that works:

Run a CMD window as Administrator and execute:

slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

where XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX is your product key.

Once this command was executed, a box popped up to say that product key was successfully changed. Upon closing CMD window, found that Windows was now activated.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted