New Lounger
    Thanks

Stop using Admin account and transfer programs or make new Admin account?

I want to stop using the Administrator account. How to transfer programs?

I have been using the Administrator account as my main account for many years but now want to set up and use only a new standard account without administrator privileges. How do I transfer all my programs, more than 50, and documents, photos (thousands), music, movies, audiobooks, password programs, etc.?

Can I make a new administrator account and call it AdminXXX with administrator privileges (and password) and then log in to that and CHANGE the rights on my original administrator account to just a standard user? This would keep all my programs, etc. but would it cause any problems?

I want to do this for added security. Any other ideas? I do not want to reinstall all my programs.

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, all updates, 4 GB RAM
    Desktop computer, one other user account for my husband.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    sandeelu,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

The 1st thing I'd try is just setting up a Standard User account and see which programs you can't access if any. Most programs will ask if you want to install for the current user or all users. Of course, since you only had one user they didn't ask this question but they may have installed for all users anyway. If this doesn't work you can then just change the Standard User to an Administrator and change the current admin account to standard user.
    Of course I'd suggest a complete Image Backup before you attempt any of this "just-in-case"!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Creating a new admin account and then demoting your current account to standard is the recommended method: Configuring Windows 7 for a Limited User Account, Method 2

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure you could "demote" an Administrator account. I forgot about doing an Image Backup but I will do that first. This was my first posting and I appreciate the help.
    Sandy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sandy, Were you successful in downgrading your admin account to standard account? Did that enable you to access your programs with your standard account (formerly admin)? I'm getting ready to start setting up a new Windows 7 laptop and this is a concern I have. I'm hoping to get it right the first time.

Thanks
    If the secondary account is set up before you start installing apps then you should be asked if you want both accounts to have access. You will have to install the apps from the Admin account.

Personally, unless I have more than one person using our PC's, I do not bother with the limited account. Some people do advocate doing so, some don't. I believe the secondary user accounts are only necessary if more than one user will be using the account. I have my multi-layered security approach to protect my PC's from nasties. If however I had a child or teenager using my PC I would definitely set up separate accounts for them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I was successful in setting up a limited standard account for myself. I set up a second Admin account. When I had the two Admin accounts, I logged into the new one (which bcame the main one) and demoted the old one that I had previously used (it had ALL my documents, photos, videos, books, music and lots of little helpful programs. I have not had trouble installing new probrams to my new limited account. The computer just asks for permission and since I did set up a password for the Admin account, i just type that in.

I am happy with my new setup beause I do have other users that could accidently install something without my knowledge.
    Sandy