New Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Icons not staying put

Recently I got a virus via an email sent from a friend (without an attachment) which took over my PC. I have resolved the problem (?) by doing a system restore & running AVG anti-virus temporarily to find the culprit which I was able to remove. ( I normally only run Microsoft Security Essentials without dramas).I then deleted AVG so as not to conflict with MSE & then ran MalwareBytes & Spybot to clean out any other problems. All seems to be OK now however I cannot get my Desktop Icons to stay in my preferred location. I have tried unchecking & rechecking Auto arrange & aligning icons to no avail. Any ideas please. I am using windows 7

Thanks
    You could try this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Alternatively you could follow:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/w...ile?SignedIn=1
    to create a new profile.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-08-25 at 12:17.

Thanks
    I've used both DesktopOK and Desktop Restore to save the icon layout on the desktop and restore it on the rare occasions which it gets modified / randomised by forces unknown. Neither does a perfect job of restoring icons to the original locations, but I found that the second one is more reliable, and you can run it two or three times and get the layout you want, almost all the time.

DesktopOK has Englisch documentation.

(Of course, since I set up a BATch file to save the icon locations after logon, I've very rarely had to run its restore counterpart!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini75 View Post
    Recently I got a virus via an email sent from a friend (without an attachment) which took over my PC.
    Wow! Which email program do you use?

What virus did you get? (which could have some relevance to the ongoing desktop icon issue)

Bruce