Lounger
    Thanks

All shortcuts have automagically become .LNK!

I have no idea how to do this if I had to. And I have no idea how to undo this now that I have to. I can not create a shortcut. As new shortcuts occur, they become .LNK! I've updated AVG and done a full system scan and no virii found.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    NewL,

Assuming the exclamation point is an editorial statment added by you, I fail to see the problem. All desktop shortcuts ARE ".lnk". Perhaps this has to do with the settings of how to display shortcuts in one or another of the "tweakers."

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2012-08-25 at 12:56.

Thanks
    Perhaps you have set your PC to view whole paths including file extension. CP, Folder Options, view tab and check all these check boxes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Showing or hiding the .lnk extension for shortcuts is independent of any standard windows setting like "Hide extensions for known file types".

It's controlled by a special registry entry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile: NeverShowExt) only available via regedit or some system tweaking utility:

However, to hide the extension of “.LNK” files back, create the String value “NeverShowExt” and leave the data blank.
    Show the extension for the Shortcut (.LNK) files

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig;

The exclamation point was indeed editorial comment. Because I was surprised to see all shortcuts change to .LNK while on my other 2 computers they are still .EXE. When I click on any of the .LNKs, it brings up WprdPerfect and tries to convert the .LNK to text and then realizes that's an invalid conversion. Back thru at least Windows98, all shortcuts were .EXE. Right click on any of your desktop icons and click Properties and you should find them all to be .EXE

Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico;

I do have "Display the full path in the title bar" checked and I am using Clasic Theme. I don't understand the connection to seeing .LNK instead of .EXE however. And it's changed ALL icons on the desktop to the icon for WordPerfect also and thus every desktp icon brings up WordPerfect!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the feeling that you are all talking about the same thing and I'm involved in something else. I looked at the document that BruceR referenced and used REGEDIT to get to the key referenced. I don't understand why you are all saying that shortcuts on the desktop and Start Menu are all supposed to be .LNK when in the past 14 years they've always been .EXE's for me. In the example at http://tweaklibrary.com/System/File-...)-files/10421/, all the user created shortcuts are text files where usually shortcuts are to programs??!! I'm missing something in this?! If any of you could straighten me out, I'd sure appreciate it. I've been thinking the fix will require a backup and then reload/refresh Windows. But I hat to do that since I'll have a lot of stuff to re-install.

Thanks
    In your original post you did not mention the Classic Theme or Word Perfect info. IF the icons on your desktop were .exe extensions, then they were not Shortcuts. They were the actual executable file. Shortcuts are links to the actual executable files located elsewhere. Did something change on Classic Theme? Is Classic Theme associated with Word Perfect? Was there an update to either?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by partner View Post
    When I click on any of the .LNKs, it brings up WprdPerfect and tries to convert the .LNK to text and then realizes that's an invalid conversion.
    Which means that your .LNK files have become associated with WordPerfect when they should not be associated with any program.

Back thru at least Windows98, all shortcuts were .EXE. Right click on any of your desktop icons and click Properties and you should find them all to be .EXE
    That's not true. Shortcuts have been .LNK files since Windows 95:

File shortcuts (also known as Shell Links) were introduced in Windows 95[1]. Microsoft Windows uses .lnk as the filename extension for shortcuts to local files,

And it's changed ALL icons on the desktop to the icon for WordPerfect also and thus every desktp icon brings up WordPerfect!
    So you just need to remove the association of .LNK files with WordPerfect.

I have the feeling that you are all talking about the same thing and I'm involved in something else. I looked at the document that BruceR referenced and used REGEDIT to get to the key referenced. I don't understand why you are all saying that shortcuts on the desktop and Start Menu are all supposed to be .LNK when in the past 14 years they've always been .EXE's for me. In the example at http://tweaklibrary.com/System/File-...)-files/10421/, all the user created shortcuts are text files where usually shortcuts are to programs??!!
    The only example there is Work.lnk and you can't tell what it's a shortcut to. Other user files on that desktop are documents, not shortcuts.

I'm missing something in this?! If any of you could straighten me out, I'd sure appreciate it. I've been thinking the fix will require a backup and then reload/refresh Windows. But I hat to do that since I'll have a lot of stuff to re-install.
    Use this utility to remove the file association from the .lnk file type and normal operation will be resumed: A Utility to Unassociate File Types in Windows 7 and Vista

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-09-06 at 07:44.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

partner (2012-09-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Partner,

When you right-click on a shortcut and select properties, look at the General tab; you'll find it's a .lnk. The Shortcut tab shows you what it's the shortcut for.
    Shortcut.PNG

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2012-09-06 at 18:18.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

partner (2012-09-07)