Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access refused to Documents & Settings

Running Windows 7 Pro with SP1 (all other updates current). I am the sole user (aka Administrator)

When I 2x click on Documents & Settings to open it I get a C:\Documents and Settings is not accessible. Access is denied.
    The small folder icon to the left of the folder name also has a locked padlock on it. The same is true of $Recycle.Bin (huh?) and
    MSOCache.

Why?

How do I remove it so I can access at least the Documents and Settings?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can right click it, choose Security tab, click the Advanced button and then click the Change Permissions button. This will open a dialog with a Deny permission at the top. Click it and then click the Remove button to remove the permission. Click ok the needed times to close all dialogs and it should be solved.

Thanks
    C:\Documents and Settings is a Junction Point. It is not a folder, it contains no files, so there's nothing to access. It points to C:\Users. Go to your account in C:\Users and you will find your documents.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Documents and Settings is not a true folder in Win 7. It is ajunction point (symbolic Link) for use by legacy apps. Some other explanations can be found with a Google search.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I will also add that I see no reason to access the other two folders. $Recycle Bin can be accessed, well, through Recycle Bin and MSOCache, I never accessed in all these years using Windows, so I hardly think it's needed.