New Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis cloning process is freezing

I have an old Dell XPS Gen 2 (2004 WIN XP Pro) which, for various reasons, I am trying to keep running.
    Things seemed to be slowing down so I cracked her open and added some ram and because of some errors I've been seeing at startup (e.g. chkdsk running) I decided to get a new HD. Found WD IDE 320GB model at local PC Warehouse and installed as drive 2 in slave mode.

1. Found that current HD was identical model - original was a Maxtor - 80GB and I forgot that I had replaced that a few years back.This guy was still sitting in cradle but disconnected. (lazy).

2. I downloaded acronis true image software that I found on Western Digital site when I searched on the HD model #. I installed this.

I have tried cloning current drive to new drive and the process keeps freezing after running for anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour.

I perused the existing comments about cloning but wonder if anyone might give me some quick suggestions.
    Should I use another imaging product?
    Should I generate a boot disk and then generate a backup and work from that?
    What's the best approach?

Thanks

Thanks
    I would create the Rescue Boot Disk, boot to the Rescue Boot Disk, create an Image from the Rescue Boot Disk (outside Windows), then install the new HD and again boot to the Rescue Boot Disk and Restore the Image to the new HD. You might also have to insert the Win XP Rescue Disk to fix the MBR.

This will put the original OS onto the new HD. There is no guarantee that this will speed things up substantially. I would start by looking at how many apps are starting with Windows. I use a small app called What's In Startup (download at bottom) I suspect you will find many things starting with Windows. Most of these can be disabled or even deleted. Next I would clean out the TIF, Cookies, Temp files, etc throughout Windows. A good cleanup app such as CCleaner (cleanup section only) should do nicely. You can also run the built in cleanmgr should do nicely, but I would run in in the advanced cleanup mode.

Copy this to Notepad, save as cleanup.bat onto the desktop and run it.

@Echo off
    cls
    cleanmgr /sagerun:99

cleanmgr /sagerun:99

After everything has been cleaned up see how the system runs. If it seems better, Create a new Image of the cleaned up OS for future use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post

I downloaded acronis true image software that I found on Western Digital site

What's the best approach?
    garvey,

Hello.... I have little faith in Acronis True Image that is bundled with Hard Drives.. Your best bet would be to download and install Macrium Reflect Free (V-5) I use both Acronis and Macrium and they both can "Clone" HD's. Macrium will do this with the Free version as well as the pay for ....The Acronis True Image, is a pay for ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    garvey,

Hello.... I have little faith in Acronis True Image that is bundled with Hard Drives..
    Unless it is a very old version, I fail so see why you would say this. I would think it is the same technology used in retail versions, paid for by the hard drive manufacturar, bearing Acronis name and trademark, thus unlikely to be some sort of flawed and meant to fail product.

Thanks
    Try running chkdsk /f on the old drive.
    By the way, I agree with RUI. Ive used the cloning software that came ith a new disk many times without a problem.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Unless it is a very old version, I fail so see why you would say this.
    Rui,
    Hello... Two reasons ....

1. The software that is bundled with a particular HD , may not be the "Full" software package...(All Features)

2. If you try to download this proprietary HD software to another HD, brand or type it may not work...

Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    None of which indicates simple cloning will not work which you imply by saying "little faith". All it needs is to have one disk in the system to come from the brand that supplies the software. Now if you want to say you get more features with after market cloning software, I think we can agree with that.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Fred,

Yes, less featured I can understand, also brand restricted. However, if your HD is of the brand in question, the basic functionality should work flawlessly and that obviously would include cloning and imaging. I would think that if a feature is available it should complete without freezing.

My only concern would be the possibility of using an out of date version, but we are talking Windows XP and even acronis True Image 11 (the version before 2010) runs on Vista, let alone XP, so the chances of this being a version incompatible with XP are null, IMO.

I would probably try Ted's suggestion about trying this from a boot disk. It's basically risk free. Of course, I would also run the chkdsk suggested by Jerry before. If it all goes well, problem solved. If not, then the cause for freezing would need to be determined.

Regards

Rui

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.
    No matter what I've tried the cloning process still freezes at a certain point. I ran from a boot disk and went right into the Acronis program.
    Whaty I see, consistently, is that I can move the mouse pointer up until a certain point in progress of cloning and then suddenly the pointer is no longer moveable and that's when the freeze occurs.
    Right now I'm running a backup to an external drive.
    I will then try to restore that onto the new HD.
    If this does not work, I'll try another software.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Backup froze - what the heck?
    I recall now that I was unable to clone the WD drive that I put in this machine at least 3 or 4 years ago - then I had EZDrive software that came with the HD.
    This time it was an OEM part w/o any software.
    Back then, I had to re-install Win XP Pro on the new drive and rebuild from there.
    Maybe there's a setting on this BIOS that is causing problem.
    Can't figure it out.
    I have chkdsk running right now.
    I'll see what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    applepolliewoggies oh my brothers -

I am an idiot!
    When I closely examined the hard drive that I wanted to clone I realized that I had on it a complete copy of an old external HD complete with numerous dll's, etc.
    Once I eliminated that humongous folder, ran another chkdsk and removed some unneeded and previously backed up folders, Acronis cloning ran beautifully from a boot cd.
    I now have a Dell XPS vintage 2004 with 2 GB of ram and a new WD 320GB HD that runs very smoothly.
    Good for another year are so I imagine.

Thanks for the advice.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am glad you sorted it.

Thanks
    Whew, glad it works. I create all my Images from the Boot Disk. It seems to actually run quicker than from within Windows. And of course, it makes sense to run Restorations from the Boot Disk.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Imaging from a boot disk should be slightly quicker since nothing else is running on the PC. The advantage of imaging from within Windows is that you can continue to use your PC while the image is being created. I haven't noticed much slowdown of my other PC tasks while imaging in Windows 7 but it may depend on your hardware especially memory and CPU speed. I'm running Intel quad core @ 3 ghz.

Jerry