Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    IE 9 unable to browse in Protected Mode

    We have Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit.

    We came back from vacation, installed the waiting Windows Updates, then noticed we can start IE 9 and bring up the homepage, but when we attempt to go any further, it just "stalls."

    When we are on the homepage, Google, we can mouse-over the 'tabs' at the top and the URLs show up on the status bar. We click on "News" and the page there also loads, but at this point mousing-over the links does not show up anything on the status bar, and clicking on the link results in nothing other than a message saying "Internet Explorer stopped responding" after 2-3 minutes.

    I did a bunch of debugging with DNS (ping, nslookup, tracert) and it isn't the Internet connection. (I don't get a Page Not Found either ...)

    Through the Control Panel -> Internet Options, I finally cleared all the history, cache, and even reset the Internet Explorer settings on the Advanced page. Still nothing helped.

    On an off-change, I went to the Security tab, unchecked Enable Protected Mode, and everything is fine now.

    The other Windows 7 PCs in the house got all the same Windows Updates, and they all work with Protected Mode enabled.

    Any ideas how I get this particular desktop back to normal?

    Thanks!

    Mike

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,752
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 650 Times in 573 Posts
    Is the logged in user an administrator or standard? Try starting IE9 with add-ons disabled and/or compare enabled add-ons with the other PCs at Tools, Manage Add-ons.

    Bruce

  3. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, she was an administrative user before we went on vacation, I'll check again.

    I had already cleared the Add-Ons and reset the Advanced Settings.

    I did see a warning in the "Solve PC Issues" flag which said that Java quit working, so I uninstalled and re-installed the latest jre-7u5 version. I also uninstalled a 'coupon printer' app that she doesn't use anymore and rebooted a couple of times in the process (one after a Norton Anti-Virus installation and update).

    Thanks,

    Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •