Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Primary Drive 0 not found

Hello Loungers, I have a Dell Dimension 8300, this box is for my grand kids to use.
    works pretty well except on start up the black and white screen states:
    Primary drive 0 not found, Primary drive 1 not found, strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run set up utility.
    I have checked to make sure in the BIOS the drives are set to auto detect. Changed the ribbon cables twice, new CMOS battery and reset time etc. Went to Dell support and ran the PC check up every thing checked out as passed.
    When the black and white screen comes up and I do a cont+alt+delete it starts right up?
    any ideas?
    jim ( tinman)
    retired sheet metal worker

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Tinman,

You've done everything I would have done. The only thing that I can think of is that the Power Supply is starting to go and doesn't get up to power fast enough to spin the drives up for the BIOS to recoginze. After the delay, watiting for you to Ctrl+Alt+Del it has stablized and the drives are up to speed and everyting works ok. This is just a shot-in-the-dark but the only thing I can think of.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You could try HW Monitor to monitor the PS voltages to see if something is happening there. I realize this will not help before the HD's are seen, but perhaps watching just after they finally boot might give an indication, especially if you see any changes over time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys, maybe if I take the two optical drives offline and try to start the box? what do ya think?

DIDN'T WORK!!! Oh well
    Last edited by tinman19; 2012-08-26 at 16:59.
    jim ( tinman)

Thanks
    Do you have another computer or an external USB drive case you could put the drive in so you could verify the drive works? I just recently fixed a dell that had a drive fail within three months. Dell replaced it under warranty within three days. I assume yours is long out of warranty but it sounds like a drive failure to me.

If you only have a 30 gig drive or so, you might find a used one pretty cheap.
    Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    now I'm getting BOOTMGR Missing on two different computers, hard drive or mother boards. I formatted the drive on my big box to wipe it clean now I get the BOOTMGR missing
    jim ( tinman)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have formatted the drive You would get that error until you have installed an operating System. The boot manager is part of the OS install procedure.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.