New Lounger
    Thanks

Thunderbird 14 Preview Pain (sic)

I'm not sure of the how or why, but apparently someone has decided that I can no longer choose how I want Thunderbird to present messages when it starts.

It used to be that I could turn off the Preview Pane [F8] and it would stay turned off until I put it back on. That's no longer the case. Why? What has changed? And how do I un-change it?

FWIW, this may be part and parcel but it used to open up in the last folder I was working in. Now it opens to the top level Local Folder. So, perhaps it's just that some settings keep getting reset.

The last piece of the puzzle is that will keep my settings for a while but something causes them to revert periodically. And it's not just after something like a reboot because it does happen during the work day.

If it matters, this is on two Windows 7 machines, one 32bit and one 64bit, and both are up to date on patches.

Thanks
    Are you using any syncing software or add-on? If yes, have you kept it up-to-date and verified its settings?

I use a portable version on a USB drive so do not need to sync, but your symptoms sound like it could be an add-on type issue.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, but I was just about to post something on this. After searching in vain on the interweb about this, it occured to me that the fact that this comes and goes might be due to an external issue. And it is - sort of.

I use CCleaner on a regular basis and one of the things it cleans is Thunderbird and in particular the session file (session.json). Taking that out of the cleanup keeps the changes I have made. So the question is, what changed?

Unless I am mistaken, it's something in Thunderbird. There is a session.dat file which I think are the optional defaults which are copied if the json is deleted, but that file doesn't seem to be able to be changed.