Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's this beast?

In my autoruns I have 'DownloadBeast.exe' which I have disabled from auto start.

Has anyone any idea what this program is? I have found no clue in my searches.

Neither Win7 uninstall program or Revo Installer have it listed to be able to uninstall it.

Tim

Thanks
    If I were you I would do a complete scan with MalwarBytes Antimalware and Spybot Search and Destroy. This might be a Torrent download manager. Other indications are possible malware sites (MalwareBytes Pro would not allow the site to load)

Check for an add-on in your browser to see if it's there. I would also look for a folder on your C Drive for this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. Anti-Malaware Pro found nothing, Spybot nine items, most to do with something called Babylon.

I started manually going through every folder on the C drive but as it was taking forever gave up. Typing into the Start search dialogue box finds nothing.

It's not that I've noticed any laptop behavioural problems, but DownloadBeast sounds so ominous.

Thanks
    Babylon Toolbar. A scareware item. A Google search shows ways to remove this scareware.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Download and run Everything search. Then run it and plug in Downloadbeast. If its on your PC, it will find it. Everything search is more comprehensive and faster than Windows Search.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a few explanations of what it may be when Google it. some say it is a trojan or malware others say it is the avant internet browser upgrade for windows internet explorer.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again to all. Medico: Although Spybot found references to Babylon (which I deleted) I do not have the toolbar or the problem associated with it. Jerry: When I went to the Everything search site, I got a 'WHOA' danger warning from McAfee site advisor saying: 'When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors'. Clive: Yes, that was the confusing results I found.

Tim

Thanks
    Must be a Mcafee false negative. I'll stake my reputation you can trust the Voidtools site. Don't be afraid to download Everything. Myself and several others on this board have been using it for a long time.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, took your word for it and installed Everything with no problems. BUT, it didn't find the file, which is still listed in my autoruns (although disabled).

Updated: It did when I put a space between Download and Beast. It was at \OWNER-PC\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Download Beast

Now the original question, what is it? Should I delete the folder? What about registry references? Or is it something to do with my browser. I use Firefox.

Tim
    Last edited by timsinc; 2012-08-28 at 12:01.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    timsinc, presumably you haven't installed the Avant browser which curiousclive mentions above, or you would have said so. So 'DownloadBeast.exe' is presumably malware, possibly this. It is not definitely not part of Firefox or any Windows operating system. Uploading the DownloadBeast.exe file, if you haven't yet deleted it, to VirusTotal for analysis might tell you more. Then, if there are any suspicious results listed and you want to spend the time, you could look for an online scan by one of the antimalware vendors listed in the results and scan your whole system with it to find any other associated or infected files.

Searching for files created around the same time DownloadBeast.exe was created (or its specific parent drawer if it has one) might give you a clue as to what software installed it.

Google only lists a few results for your executable (do refrain from installing any 'fix it' program links listed on those pages, they could be scamware), so it's unlikely anyone here, or anywhere else will be able to give you a more definitive answer. You've done well deleting it from auto start. Personally I'd just delete DownloadBeast.exe as well, and any other obvious associated files (e.g. if that executable is in a 'Download Beast' or whatever subdrawer). Without an executable the malware can't function, even if there are any remnants in your registry, which would be very unlikely to affect your system, so I'd just leave them there.

Obviously you should scan your entire disk with your antivirus program. If you don't have a realtime antivirus checker installed, you should! There are a number of good free ones like Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials. Trialware antiviruses provided with new computers aren't of use after their licenses expire, and should be uninstalled and replaced, if you choose not to pay for a subscription.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bigbadsteve. Although the downloadbeast.exe file is visible when looking at start-ups with CCleaner tool, it is not to be seen in Programs Files (x86) where CC lists it.
    There are two references in users/owner/appt data\local but when I had Virus Total analyse it, I didn't understand at all the report back. I have done all the scans recommended. As I seem to be trouble-free, I'm letting the matter rest.

Tim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    " Although the downloadbeast.exe file is visible when looking at start-ups with CCleaner tool, it is not to be seen in Programs Files (x86) where CC lists it."

sounds like a root kit.

run
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...fender-offline

Thanks
    It is so much easier in many cases to use What's In Startup or Autoruns to check for start up apps rather than checking the registry. I used to do that as well, but now use a simple app to do this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    For less experienced people, wading through the registry in NOT simple. It can be very intimidating, and quite frankly it is very easy to make a mistake that can really cause problems on your PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    No, in most cases they DO NOT have to learn about the registry. Probably 90% of the people who use PC's don't know or even care what the registry is. Most experts agree it is not advisable for novices to be fooling around in the registry, especially when there is a simple to use S/W app that will do it for them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast