Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Failed attempt to restore Toshiba laptop to factory settings

My daughter and son-in-law have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4666 laptop that runs Windows Vista Home Basic. The machine has set unused in a closet for a couple of years since my son-in-law bought a newer laptop. Now my daughter wants to use the old machine, and they've asked me to reset it to its original factory settings.

I found the user guide on-line, and I've tried to follow the instructions for resetting the machine. That is, I've shut down the computer, then restarted it while holding down the 0 (zero) key on the computer keyboard. I'm supposed to see a screen that's supposed to walk me through restoring the machine. However, all I get is a loud, high-pitched pulsing alarm—not unlike a household smoke alarm. I've tried this twice with the same results. I've waited for as long as half a minute before I finally gave up. If this machine does not have the hidden partition with the files for resetting the machine, what can I do? My son-in-law never created any restore disks, and he does not remember his log-in password.

FWIT: The machine has two profiles. The second profile (my grandson's) lacks administer rights, so I can't even delete an old program without the password for the administrator (my son-in-law).

Thanks
    You might be able to order Recovery disks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    There are several programs that will create a bootable CD that will allow you to reset the Windows Administrator password. One can be found here:
    http://forgottenpassword.org/recover...ator-password/

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Oo-o-o ... ! Thank you, Jerry! This just may do the trick.