Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Failed attempt to restore Toshiba laptop to factory settings

My daughter and son-in-law have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4666 laptop that runs Windows Vista Home Basic. The machine has set unused in a closet for a couple of years since my son-in-law bought a newer laptop. Now my daughter wants to use the old machine, and they've asked me to reset it to its original factory settings.

I found the user guide on-line, and I've tried to follow the instructions for resetting the machine. That is, I've shut down the computer, then restarted it while holding down the 0 (zero) key on the computer keyboard. I'm supposed to see a screen that's supposed to walk me through restoring the machine. However, all I get is a loud, high-pitched pulsing alarm—not unlike a household smoke alarm. I've tried this twice with the same results. I've waited for as long as half a minute before I finally gave up. If this machine does not have the hidden partition with the files for resetting the machine, what can I do? My son-in-law never created any restore disks, and he does not remember his log-in password.

FWIT: The machine has two profiles. The second profile (my grandson's) lacks administer rights, so I can't even delete an old program without the password for the administrator (my son-in-law).

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You might be able to order Recovery disks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    There are several programs that will create a bootable CD that will allow you to reset the Windows Administrator password. One can be found here:
    http://forgottenpassword.org/recover...ator-password/

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Oo-o-o ... ! Thank you, Jerry! This just may do the trick.