2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Removing legacy add-in toolbars from Word 2010 templates

Hi,

Recently I converted some Word 2003 templates containing macros and toolbars into Word 2010 .dotm files. I added a nice new ribbon for the macros and everything works fine.
    The only problem is, I forgot to remove the old toolbars from the Word 2003 templates before converting them. Since I only now have Word 2010 on my machine, I'm stuck with the old legacy toolbars which now appear in the Add-Ins ribbon.

I would like to know how I can get rid of the old toolbars! Even if I get access to MS Word 2003 again, I can't open the Word 2010 templates in order to strip out the old toolbars!

Is there any way I can do this properly (i.e. not just hiding the Add-Ins ribbon..!)?

cheers,
    Dominic

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I just answered my own question: You right click on the custom toolbar on the Add-Ins ribbon and you select "Delete" and then you are warned that it is irreversible. But that's a good thing

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dom_donald For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2014-10-25),JerseyMike4 (2014-10-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dom_donald View Post
    I think I just answered my own question: You right click on the custom toolbar on the Add-Ins ribbon and you select "Delete" and then you are warned that it is irreversible. But that's a good thing
    First of all, thank you. I had the same problem and was starting to get a little annoyed that I couldn't find the answer. I can't believe how simple the solution was. I did have a small issue, though, so I thought I would add to your answer in case it helps anyone else.

I was able to delete the legacy toolbar with no problem, but after saving, closing, and re-opening my template, the toolbar would still be there! I did this about three times to no avail. Then I wondered if it had something to do with the fact that I was editing my template while it was inside Word's startup folder*, so I closed Word, moved the template to the desktop, and successfully edited it from there. When I moved the template back to Word's startup folder and re-opened Word, the toolbar was finally gone for good!

*I have never had an issue before with editing my template directly from Word's startup folder.

Thanks
    Might the problem have been that you created a new document based on the template rather than opening the template? I have never had a problem editing a template in my Startup folder. Getting to the Startup folder can be a bit of a pain.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    Might the problem have been that you created a new document based on the template rather than opening the template? I have never had a problem editing a template in my Startup folder. Getting to the Startup folder can be a bit of a pain.
    Unfortunately, no. I'm familiar with editing a Word template, so I understand why you suggested it, but that wasn't the issue. Because the template was loaded with Word, I guess the legacy toolbar was somehow saved in the memory because it kept coming back when I would restart Word. As I mentioned, I have never had an issue before with editing my template directly from Word's startup folder, so I'm not sure why this one edit was so problematic.

Thanks
    OK. If you unload your template, are the toolbars there? If so, the problem is with another global template.

If you delete your toolbar and then unload and reload the template, does the toolbar reappear? If so, you are saving the change to the toolbar to the current document or its template rather than in the global template.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-10-28 at 14:52.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. If you unload your template, are the toolbars there? If so, the problem is with another global template.

If you delete your toolbar and then unload and reload the template, does the toolbar reappear? If so, you are saving the change to the toolbar to the current document or its template rather than in the global template.
    Thank you, Charles, but I don't believe it had anything to do with with me inadvertently making changes to a different template. Like I said, once I moved it out of the Startup folder and made the edit, it finally stuck. It's such a rare scenario that I bet it's just a bug that Microsoft didn't catch.

Thanks
    When making changes to an Add-In I open the Add-In for editing rather than just load it as an Add-In. This is necessary to edit macros. It would not surprise me if it required to edit toolbars. Again, the Add-In is the open document. In the vba editor, it is "ActiveDocument" rather than "ThisDocument."
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When making changes to an Add-In I open the Add-In for editing rather than just load it as an Add-In. This is necessary to edit macros. It would not surprise me if it required to edit toolbars. Again, the Add-In is the open document. In the vba editor, it is "ActiveDocument" rather than "ThisDocument."
    I don't believe I've said anything to the contrary, but I appreciate the clarification.