New Lounger
    Thanks

Intermittent Web access

Vista home premium32 bit .I have great difficulty in logging on when mains lead is connected and charging battery. When dis-connected and on battery supply I get normal log on . When battery is removed and on mains supply I also fail to log on. Could may be related to latest update from Microsoft. Help please
    Desperate ! Malcolm.

Thanks
    How old is the battery? Does it seem to last when unplugged? Do you run it down to minimum periodically then recharge it? Have you ever run the Internet Troubleshooter? Right click the internet icon on the taskbar and choose Trouble Shooter.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think we need more clarification

First issue: "When dis-connected and on battery supply I get normal log on"
    --- Do you mean logging on upon bootup - not the internet?

Second issue: "Intermittent web access"
    --- What error message(s) are you receiving if any?
    --- What website are you "logging on to"? Don't you mean when "signing in"?
    --- Since your subject is "Intermittent web access", you probaly do access the web sometime?
    --- Does it matter whether or not you are trying to "log on - actually sign in" into a website or does it also happen when you are just searching the internet without having to "log on"?
    --- What browser/version are you using? Do you use more than one browser?
    --- You might want to consider calling your ISP to see if your router needs reconfiguration

Third issue: You mention different power/battery connections
    --- It's possible those scenarios are coincidential
    --- However use a scenario that you feel works ok, stay with it until you know the issue doesn't happen while troubleshooting you problem(s)
    --- I know you mention "When dis-connected and on battery supply I get normal log on" works ok so I suppose you can start from there
    --- The idea is to ensure the scenarios you mention aren't coincidental

Fourth issue: "Could may be related to latest update from Microsoft"
    --- This could be the easiest issue to troubleshoot
    --- Go into Windows Update history and see if there are any failed updates and let us know whether or not there are any
    --- Do a System Restore to an applicable date
    --- If this solves your "intermittent web access problem", you will still have to get you Microsoft updates but at least you will know the other issues are not your problem
    --- So on the Microsoft updates, get the list of what's needed and let us know what they are as the problematic update(s) will need to be filtered out and figured out how to get them safely installed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The battery is 4 years old . No I do not periodically discharge and re-charge I usually use mains lead and leave battery in place.I did discharge it completely and re-charge after reading your advice -- no change in symptoms.I have not yet used Internet Troubleshooter but will make that my next step when I can find the icon.
    Thank you for taking time and trouble to help , will keep you informed .
    regards , Malcolm.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Capt. M,
    Do you have an optical drive on the LT and can the LT boot from this drive, if so to rule out MS, download the linux version of choice (I like Mint, http://www.linuxmint.com/) burn to a dvd, boot into the 'live' version of mint (this way is completely non-destructive). When on the mint desktop plug in your LTs power cable, then attempt to logon to the net, if successful the problem is most likely with windows as you can logon within linux and not in windows, if you can't logon then the problem is most likely hardware related.

Hope this helps.
    vinnyt

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was hoping to learn something new depending on how you have solved your problem, if you have
    I hope you did have good luck