New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy ChangeFileOpenDirectory quits working more often than not (Word 2003)

I'll admit I use Word in ways that it probably wasn't intended (my wife cringes when I describe certain things). I'm a big believer in "Work Smarter Not Harder" so I've macroed a lot of things. For instance, I've macroed and toolbar-buttoned a lot of commands I frequently use, like changing my (at that time) default file-open directory.

For instance, in order to make the directory named 'Fourth" located at C:\First\Second\Third, the current default directory, I've a macro with the command: ChangeFileOpenDirectory "C:\First\Second\Third\Fourth\".

However, more often than not when I execute that macro (or any of the others of similar nature) and then select File-Open, the directory I'm presented with is the My Documents directory . . . which isn't even my default file location!

All I want to be able to do is have a macro-assigned toolbar button that enables me to click the button so that, when I subsequently select File-Open, the directory specified in the macro is the one that appears.

Am I doing something wrong?

~Masterius
    Last edited by Masterius; 2012-08-28 at 16:25.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That setting only "sticks" for the current Word session, and the FileOpen path changes if/when you open a document from another folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand, and expect, that. However, suppose I have a macro called "Directory", and the command within the macro is ChangeFileOpenDirectory "C:\First\Second\Third\Fourth\". When I execute the macro "Directory" and then immediately select File-Open, the directory being opened should be C:\First\Second\Third\Fourth\. 19 times out of 20 it's not; instead, it's opening "My Documents".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Google turns up at least a half dozen distinct threads going back to 2005 or so (plus the usual echos from all over UseNet) talking about exactly this bug. As far as I could tell, none of them came up with a real answer. My copy of Word 2003 does the same thing -- I have yet to see ChangeFileOpenDirectory work correctly. It does work properly in Word 2007 and later.

What will work is to override the FileOpen command with a macro of the same name that includes code like this:

Sub FileOpen()
    With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
    .Name = "C:\First\Second\Third\Fourth\"
    .Show
    End With
    End Sub