New Lounger

Question Help Windows Search won't display a preview of older microsoft files

I’m running Windows XP SP3 fully updated. When I open windows desktop search – now version 4 the preview window shows a preview for ms word (.docx) files but not for the older .doc files it just says “Preview is not available for this document”. This also occurs for .xls. Does anyone know how to get it to display previews for the older Microsoft formats. Thanks

Bronze Lounger
    Birkirkara, Malta
    Microsoft's wordview program will open .doc files. Here's the download link:

Incidentally, regarding search, if I were you I would uninstall Microsoft's Desktop Search, and disable the Windows Search Service, which uses a lot of resources indexing in the background, and instead install Search Everything, which uses very little resources and produces search results like lightning. Here's the download link:

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread