2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install in 2012 or 2013?

My standard practice over many iterations of windows is to wait a year after release, read the comments and then update - or in Vista's case, not update.

However the Win 8 introductory price is attractive! So the question is, can I buy Win 8 post October and stash it away for a year, and then install and activate if all looks good? Or must it be activated before the Jan cut off?

Unfortunately I do not have 'an old unused machine' to install it on pending transfer to production. The only 'semi production' machines I have max out at 1GB RAM and I have heard recommendations that this is unlikely to be sufficient in real life.

Comments / suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    The $39.99 upgrade is for a web install, but you can create a DVD once the download is completed. Since you can create a DVD I suppose you can simply install later, but I can't be sure about it. You can get the price until the 31st of January 2013, though.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I realise I can wait till Jan to buy - but I would prefer to wait till Oct 2013 - or so - to install / activate. The question really is what MS will do about activation at that time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    I think that as long as you have a valid license and the DVD with the software, or even the software stored in your computer (you don't need to install it immediately after download) you should be ok. I can't be certain, though. I guess when the sale starts, you can always ask Microsoft. I doubt anyone else can answer this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

petermat (2014-10-28)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What you buy online is an upgrade license. As long as you have a PC with a valid copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7, you can upgrade that PC anytime you want, whether you do it today, next year or 10 years from now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cafed00d For This Useful Post:

petermat (2014-10-28)