Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tweaking Win Mail for improved usability

Hi,

Need some help on tweaking Win Mail for improved usability. It's a little too tedious as it stands now.

1) How can I get rid of the Easter Bunny colors? Prefer brighter solid colors, for greater impact and clarity.

2) How can I change the text in the "Subject" & "Date" columns to Black for legibility, readability, & contrast.

3) How can I increase the font size of: New, Reply, Replay All, Forward, Add to calendar, Delete, Junk, and Sync ?

With all the tweaks & customizations that can be made today to express your individuality, these should be a P.O.C.

PS: This seems to be a very nice & informative forum, keep up the good work, you've helped a lot.

Cheers,

klxdrt

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Which version or program are we talking about here exactly?

"Windows mail" is an older program associated with Windows Vista, which is not present in Windows
    7 in any usable form, and there are several versions of "Windows Live Mail" in active usage.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klxdrt View Post
    Hi,

Need some help on tweaking Win Mail for improved usability. It's a little too tedious as it stands now.

1) How can I get rid of the Easter Bunny colors? Prefer brighter solid colors, for greater impact and clarity.

2) How can I change the text in the "Subject" & "Date" columns to Black for legibility, readability, & contrast.

3) How can I increase the font size of: New, Reply, Replay All, Forward, Add to calendar, Delete, Junk, and Sync ?

With all the tweaks & customizations that can be made today to express your individuality, these should be a P.O.C.

PS: This seems to be a very nice & informative forum, keep up the good work, you've helped a lot.

Cheers,

klxdrt
    You can only increase the text in messages. To change No. 2 you need to do alot more that can upset your pc. This is how mine looks.

RR.jpg
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Below is a screenshot of my W/L version. Hope this helps.

My only reason for wanting this info is because of lack of legibility, readability & contrast in much of today's visual presentations. Colors are very lite pastels "Easter Bunny colors", font size is smaller & lite gray in color on white bkgnds.

Slows down everything, increases mistakes. I guess no one reads or goes by the WC3 stds for legibility, readability & lack of contrast or has studied the Yale Style manual.

And my eyes are fine, 20/20 w/glasses. Recently checked by an Ophthalmologist.

I would gladly go to web mail if I can:

1. Use my own domain name
    2. Keep my contacts, sent, recd emails on my PC.
    3. Send files directly from my HD: rt click> send to.
    4. Send links from browser: File>send link.

I use these functions many times daily in my business.

If you guys know of a web mail that offers those functions, I will migrate to it. Please advise if so.

cheers,

klxdrt
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    I had been using the same version as you as all the newer versions were rubbish, then WLM 2012 was released, I recommend you upgrade to it. Here's Some Info.zip for you. You can change the font size in the reading pane.

RR.jpg

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the WLM tips.

Gold Lounger,

Isn't your footer quote from "To a Louse" by Robert Burns?

cheers,

klxdrt

Thanks
    You hit the nail on the head first time 'New Lounger'

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I had been using the same version as you as all the newer versions were rubbish, then WLM 2012 was released, I recommend you upgrade to it. Here's Some Info.zip for you. You can change the font size in the reading pane.

RR.jpg
    Roderunner I thought there was not going to be a WLM 2012?? Is there really a 2012? If there is, is there much difference from 2011? Like can you move mailboxes around and make your changes stick? Does it have an image size changer like WM and OE had? (I did try a workaround and also the popular image changer program you can download, forget the name, sorry).

Kelliann

Thanks
    The latest WLM is indeed 2012. If you go to Windows Live Essentials right now, the WLM portion of the suite is WLM 2012. It seems similar to 2011 to me, but then again I have used WLM since it's inception.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    Roderunner I thought there was not going to be a WLM 2012?? Is there really a 2012? If there is, is there much difference from 2011? Like can you move mailboxes around and make your changes stick? Does it have an image size changer like WM and OE had? (I did try a workaround and also the popular image changer program you can download, forget the name, sorry).

Kelliann
    I've never used an image size changer. Yes, you can move your mailboxes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I've never used an image size changer. Yes, you can move your mailboxes.
    Do the mailboxes and Outbox "stick" if you move them, even after you close the program and reopen it? By that I mean, do they stay where you put them when you reopen WLM? That would be a big plus if they did stick where you put them!

The image size changer is done in earlier mail programs used in xp by choosing email this photo from the left task pane after you select the image from windows file explorer. In Windows 7, using Windows Mail (not Windows Live Mail) you select the image or images from the pictures folder in windows file explorer, right click the image(s), choose Send To/Mail and it presents a small window where you can choose the size of the image file x number of pixels by x number of pixels. The smaller the number of pixels, the smaller the photo will be when viewed and the smaller the file size. 640 x 480 is a reasonable size for an email because the viewer can simply scroll down in the body of the mail and see all the images right there in a suitable size for viewing the whole photo at once instead of getting an image so gigantic you have to scroll up and down and sideways to see it all or click it to see it in a separate image viewer. To me there is huge value in not having to go the extra step and open a separate image viewer -- but then, I work with photos constantly, whereas someone else may only send or want to view photos taken by themselves or a friend once a month or once every few months and it may only be one or two photos.

Using WLM, you can't do it like that. You can install a separate image size changer you can download from elsewhere but it is not as efficient. Your options in WLM are to send your pictures to Skydrive where the recipient, when online, can view them for a certain amount of time, or, to attach the full size photo. My little point and shoot camera that I take on bike rides takes almost 4 MB pictures. A 4 MB picture attached to an email can't be viewed in the body of the email - it is so huge that you can't even make sense of it by scrolling up and down and sideways. So you *must* click the attached image and use a separate image viewer (Windows Preview, I think it is called). I understand that for many this is totally unimportant but for others it matters a lot. One personal use, rather than professional, is when people take family photos of an event, say a graduation party, and send them to grandparents many miles away. The grandparent has only to open the email and there is the entire series of photos in a size where they can see all of each photo with no scrolling and they don't even need to be online once they have received the email.

One workaround for the problem in WLM, I learned here, is to put a tiny text file in the same folder as your photos. If you do that and select both the text file and the photo you want to send, the image size changer formerly available in earlier iterations of mail (Outlook Express and Windows Mail) will pop up after you select Send to: Mail. It is an extra step but it does work. Rather than confuse the recipient with your tiny text file, you can delete it from the email before you send it and send only the photo. In the text file I created when I was still using WLM I typed "ignore this text message, it's just a test and you can delete it." I did that in case I forgot to delete it before sending <g>.

Anyway, if you go to your pictures in Windows File Exporer, select 1 picture and right click and use Send to: Mail - does a box show up asking which size you want to send?

Kelliann

Thanks
    I use WLM 2012. When I right click a photo and select to, Mail Recipient I get the following box:

Photo size.jpg

Also I have created many folders in my email and they all stick:

Mail Folders.jpg

Each time I open my mail these folders are the exact place I want them to be.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok that's good news about the image resizer and thank you very much for including the image so I can actually see what you are talking about.

Do you have more than 2 email accounts? i have 9 or 10 and each has its own set of inbox, drafts, deleted items etc, These can be expanded so you see each account's collection of boxes, or, collapsed so you only see the title of the account. I have one account I use most and I always move it up to the top so it is the first account I see. When I close the program, it goes back to where it was before. Also, the Outbox is at the bottom of all the accounts. I used the "all" inbox at the very top of the left column and I used to try and move the Outbox up so it was immediately beneath the All Inbox. It would not stay there, it kept going back to the very bottom.

I know I can make folders in each of the accounts. My problem is with the location of the "Storage" folders that I imported from the previous mail program - they all placed themselves below all my accounts, so that I had to scroll down past the account list to use them. With so many addresses, that was a long scroll to be doing many many times a day as I drag emails from the inbox into the appropriate folders. (about 70 folders, I guess). (I have so many because my main ISP kept being bought by other companies and they'd each let you keep your old address. And then I changed ISPs, which gave me a couple more mailboxes, but I pay the original one $10 a month to let me keep all of my previous addresses with them. )

What would be better (for me) is to be able to eliminate all those accounts showing at all and have a single inbox, or, to at the very least be able to move the Outbox to where I want it (just below the "all" inbox), and to move all those storage folders right under the "all" inbox and the associated outbox, deleted folders, draft folder, junk folder. Then I would never have to look at all those accounts listed in the left pane, I could just look at the single inbox and my storage folders. Advantage: far far less scrolling and time wasting.

Kelliann

Thanks
    I have 4 separate email address included with WLM: My ISP (RR), Hotmail, Gmail and Windows Secrets Mail. Now I will admit that only the RR (Road Runner) mail has separate folders. I do not have a need for many folders. I suspect though that based on the few folders I have, the same will hold true no matter how many I have. Each mail has it's own inbox, drafts, outbox, sent and trash folder.

The first time I set up this email and imported from another email, I moved all the imported mail from the imported folders and placed them in respective folders I created in the appropriate folder on the new mail. Once I moved all the imported emails to the newly created folders with the same names, I deleted all the imported folders since they were now empty. In your case this would take a while the first time. If you look at my screen shot above, all the extra folders shown under Ted's RR are folders that I created and moved existing email into. In my next screen shot, under Registrations, all the emails except the top 2 were imported into Win 8 WLM from Win 7 WLM. After this I found a way using the WindowsLiveMail folder on my data drive and pointing my Mail Store to this folder so next time I will not have to import mail again. I can just point my Mail Store folder to here.

TedMailFolder.jpg

Perhaps the time frame to do all this moving would make this less than desirable, but I think the added features with WLM makes this time well spent.

In View, on the Ribbon of WLM if you activate Quick Views, I believe you see email from all Inboxes here.

TedEmail.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-04 at 12:35.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi Kelliann,
    As I only use one account, I cant help with the positioning, but I think Ted (Medico)has done so.
    As to resizing photos prior to sending them, why bother? If you put your pics in a folder, then if you have 7Zip installed just right click the file and select Compress and email. Now all you have to do is add address & text as WLM will open automatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast