Star Lounger
    Thanks

Speeding up Vista

Any ideas for speeding up Vista besides using defrag and deleting cookies ?

Thanks for any help ... Theodore

PS Is there an automatic (once a week) cookie deletion scheme ?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    How much RAM do you have? How much free disk space? Have you run disk cleanup? Joe

Thanks
    Here is a one stop article and guide from Teakhound on Windows Vista optimizations.

Thanks
    Two things I didn't see in the guide that apply to all versions of Windows:
    1. Turn off Windows Eye Candy. Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Settings button under performance > Click on adjust for best performance or just disable all the animation and fade items. I don't think you will see a noticeable appearance difference and it can make a performance difference especially on low end video cards.

2. Disable all unnecessary startup items via the startup tab in MSConfig or What's in Startup or Autoruns. If you need help deciding whether to disable a startup item, you can find descriptions and recommendations here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/. You can always re-enable an item if you later find it causes problems.

Jerry

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    One of the biggest improvements on Vista was the installation of Service Pack 1. If the machine has sufficient RAM etc., but is still languishing on the basic release without SP1, it will still be pretty slow.

SP1 made significant improvements in the performance of Windows Explorer and other functions compared to the initial retail release. Even though the initial release of Vista was over 5 years ago, I still see occasional Vista machines without any service packs installed.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Almost every Speed Up trick that we used on Windows XP, still works on Vista and even 7 and 8.
    (speeding up PC's is a big part of what I do for a living, as a Computer Technologist.)

Limiting the programs and services that start when Windows starts is a BIGGIE!
    Too many programs running in the background can suck the life right out of any PC.
    They all take up RAM memory and CPU cycles and slow down boot times.

Then keep the HD clean of junk files and de-fragmented so it runs more efficiently.
    It's the slowest part of the system, so it needs all the help it can get.
    Let it get loaded down with junk files, and fragmented, and your whole system will suffer.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a once a week cleaning scheme that works for me but I choose to not remove temp files. I run a spy bot scan once a week that asks if I want to remove my temp files. When it starts to affect the machine then I go ahead and dump it. Recycle bin slows things down some too. Keep it empty.